WD TV Play stops playing files

I’ve had a WD TV Play for some time, and it was working fine, playing an assortment of different video file types, via an external hard drive connected by USB.

One day, out of the blue, it suddenly went to play one video and refused to, and refused to play anything else, including videos that had previously played fine with no issue. The only solution was a complete Device Reset. Now, it does this quite often, either randomly stopping in the middle of a video or refusing to play a new one, and again the only solution is a Device Reset, something I now have to do multiple times a week. I also have a related issue, where the device will, again randomly and out of the blue, exit out of the currently playing video file and tell me that the external hard drive has been disconnected, in which case sometimes it will automatically reconnect, and other times I will have to physically disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.

As far as I’ve been able to tell, this seems to be a common problem, but I am yet to find a permanent solution, can anyone help me please, because it’s incredibly annoying

1 Like

Hi there and welcome to the WD community.

What firmware version do you have on the unit? Also try to see if the same issue happens with a different drive to see if you get the same results.

Firmware version is 2.02.32

It may take some time until I can see if it happens with another drive, cos even with the one I have been using with the device it’s completely random, sometimes it won’t happen for a few days or a week or more, other times it’ll happen multiple times in one day

mitthrawnuruodo wrote:

Firmware version is 2.02.32

… then you don’t have a WD TV Play… the latest firmware for the Play is 1.05.47.

I imagine you actually have the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, the forum for which is here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/bd-p/streaming_discussions

i saw mitthrawnuruodo’s post yesterday …." WD TV Play stops playing files"

i reported it to a moderator requesting it be moved to the correct forum 

now, it turns out mitthrawnuruodo has in fact, a _ WD TV Live Streaming _

:confounded:   going around in circles now.

TonyPh12345: Oh, did I write Play? **bleep**, my bad, I meant to write Live, sorry lol

JoeySmyth: Yeah, just realised that I’d written the wrong thing, wondered why my post had moved lol
I’ll make a new post, don’t worry about moving this one, thanks anyway