WD TV Live HD and 96khz audio


#1

Will there be a  firmware release toallow non downsampling of  24bit/96khz audio to 48khzon the WD TV Live gen 2 as well as the Hub hinted in a post reply by Guy_K…


#2

Its WD, so perhaps it will come for the HUB in some Months or not, the older Devices doesn’t seem to be supported anymore, or was the Auto-Frame-Detection added to the WD TV LIVE? No, it was added only to the Hub, so probably better to trow or give away the older Devices and go buying the HUB instead and hope the 96khz Bug will be fixed there… Yeahh is boring but well its WD…


#3

rostron wrote:

Will there be a  firmware release toallow non downsampling of  24bit/96khz audio to 48khzon the WD TV Live gen 2 as well as the Hub hinted in a post reply by Guy_K…

    • *There’s no such thing as a WD TV Live Gen 2; there’s a WD TV HD Gen 2, a WD TV Live, and a WD TV Live Plus.

The WD TV HD Gen 2 is unsupported and won’t be getting any more updates.

The Live and Live Plus will likely get any / all feature updates applied to the Hub that aren’t tied to the new GUI / media library of the Hub. Stuff like the AutoFramerate matching will be coming (it doesn’t work right on the Hub yet, so do you want it right now?) and we’ve already seen a commitment from WD to keep adding new online services; the Live and Live Plus have services that the Hub doesn’t even have yet.

That’s not to say you’ll get 24-bit output any time soon, but if it happens for the Hub it’ll happen for the Live units, cos they’re pretty similar.

WD’s premature ending of support for the non-Live range is unacceptable but the situation does not apply to the Live range (yet).


#4

The AutoframeDetection works perfect on my HUB(never again was forced to do it manualy like on WDTVLIVE), but of course the AutoResSwitching is missing.

And you really hope it will come for the WDTVLIVE and WDTVLIVEPLUS? Well, hope is what dies last, but i think probably the WDTVLIVE and WDTVLIVEPLUS has been silently droped by WD like the WD TV HD Gen 2 before. They probably want People to buy the HUB instead, at least its what i think.

So, want Updates? Then Buy the HUB!


#5

 So, want Updates? Then Buy the HUB!

Since the release of the Hub, the WDTV Live’s have had the more updates than the hub…   So that is 

ignoratio elenchi.


#6

tm9ZL34UhIf68B2 wrote:

The AutoframeDetection works perfect on my HUB(never again was forced to do it manualy like on WDTVLIVE), but of course the AutoResSwitching is missing.

 

And you really hope it will come for the WDTVLIVE and WDTVLIVEPLUS? Well, hope is what dies last, but i think probably the WDTVLIVE and WDTVLIVEPLUS has been silently droped by WD like the WD TV HD Gen 2 before. They probably want People to buy the HUB instead, at least its what i think.

 

So, want Updates? Then Buy the HUB!

The AutoFramerate detection does not work well in all situations.  From memory, it spazzes out nastily when playing back MKVs created from DVD ISOs, as in “jerk-o-vision”.  I remember discussing this with Tony a while back, so perhaps he can correct me on the specifics.

The Live and Live Plus continue to get a lot of love from the firmware team and there’s no indication that they’re dropping support any time soon.  They’re in a completely different price bracket to the Hub (literally half the price), so until WD release a direct replacement there’s no need to panic about support being dropped.


#7

Pixel:  Yes.   

Videos MKV’d using HANDBRAKE with the Frame Rate set to SAME AS SOURCE do NOT play well at 23.97 but BluRays play QUITE WELL.

However, there is a known issue with the AUDIO being slightly out of phase with video at 23.97…

However, the Frame Detection works perfectly…  It always sets the right frame rate.   But the results are nasty.


#8

Okey, well, i only play MKV’s from BD’s and with them it works.

And for the 23.97, as i know it was dropped and since only 24 is there for Selection, however seems to work, but could explain the slightly out of phase Audio because of the 0.03 faster. But thats not the fault of the Autoframedetection, its because 23.97 is no more there, so 24 is selected instead, hmm, so the Question is why 23.97 was dropped? And also will WD add the 23.97 again or not?

And for AVI and MPEG from DVD-Source, they play well too here, but there i really miss the AutoResolution, because especialy for MPEG-Files but happens too with AVI somtimes the WD (both not only the HUB) doesn’t switch the Resolution and also doesn’t scale, and so there is a little Picture in the Center of the Screen instead of the correct one.

The really strange about its is, even switching the Resolution manualy in the WD to the correct one, does not fix the Problem, still its centered and tiny.

Like i explained in another Thread allready, this is because the WD’s handles the Resolution wrong, they don’t switch it but instead are sending allways the biggest but without scaling it itself. Every other Videodevice i have does scale it or also send the corret Resolution so that the TV can handle it itself, but not so the WD’s, its a serious Bug that needs to be fixed. However it only affects SD Files not HD Files, but still, its a serious Bug for a Videodevice not to do that correctly.

And abut the Support of the various WD’s, possible that they won’t drop it, but if there are so many Bugs reported and no Updates for Months, it quickly feels like support was dropped…


#9

I’m not sure what the fate of 23.97fps selection is.    The worst thing that happens is a frame is dropped once every 40 seconds.   One tiny little frame.    The audio delay is much more significant than one frame-worth.

I have NEVER seen the Hub fail to scale correctly.  And I’ve thrown some junk at it.   Everything I’ve tried (even bizarre aspect ratios) are correctly scaled.

Can you post the MEDIA INFO of one of the files that resolves to a tiny picture?

Whether or not the WD should change resolution is a matter of debate.   I don’t particularly care if the WD is upscaling it, so it doesn’t bother me at all.   I doubt my TV would do a better job of it anyway…


#10

TonyPh12345 wrote:

 

I’m not sure what the fate of 23.97fps selection is.    The worst thing that happens is a frame is dropped once every 40 seconds.   One tiny little frame.    The audio delay is much more significant than one frame-worth.

 

I have NEVER seen the Hub fail to scale correctly.  And I’ve thrown some junk at it.   Everything I’ve tried (even bizarre aspect ratios) are correctly scaled.

 

Can you post the MEDIA INFO of one of the files that resolves to a tiny picture?

Well i luckly until now never noticed a such significant Audio Delay, but if this happens, the Reason must be investigated and then fixed. Also i don’t see any Reason not to add the 23.97 again, and why it was dropped also.

But on the other Side i got many incorrectly scales with older MPEG1/2 Files and some AVI’s with SD Resolutions, resulting in centered Pictures within a 1080p Resoultion instead, which is unuseable and also can’t be fixed with the TV’s Zoom correctly and also will result in a cutted WD-Gui if tryed because the Gui then, because of the wrong scale and Reolution, has 1080p too.

Will see what i can do for the Mediainfo also…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

 

Whether or not the WD should change resolution is a matter of debate.   I don’t particularly care if the WD is upscaling it, so it doesn’t bother me at all.   I doubt my TV would do a better job of it anyway…

Yeah, thats what i think too, but how should the TV be able to scale if the WD does not send the correct Resolution but instead as an  Example sends an 1080p Resolution with an little 480x340 Picture centered?  Its not the indended Way it works, so the TV will never know what to do. This is also the Reason the WD must change to the Resolution OR scale it itself. The last needs more to do for the WD, the first lets do the TV everything, but both are correct. All Devices, Dreamboxes, Bluerayplayers, Settopboxes do offer one of them, mostly they offer both Solution, i never encountered one not being able to do at least one of them - well until i encountered the WD!?