WD TV live + BD25's encoded in DTS / DTS HD + optical out = ISSUES

Hey Guys.

I rip a LOT of BD’s to BD25’s (m2ts), store them on my NAS.  Most of them have audio encoded in DTS / DTS HD.

My WDTV Live is connected via Optical to my home theatre.

I get no sound unless I:

1.  Set the WDTV live to Stereo - this sux as I get NO Surround at all…

2.  Have BD25’s with audio track encoded with AC3 - this works fine when I have WDTV live set to digital.

Questions… I thought that the WDTV live could play DTS?  Should it not use the DTS core as well in the DTS HD audio stream?  Instead I get no sound and have to resort to stereo.

Whats the best way to deal with this?

Should I run the files through a remux?  If so which?

Im even open to upgrading to the WDTV media hub if it would fix this issue.

This really sux!

ThnX!!!

I have the same problem befor I update firm ware I had dobe and thx sound now to what anything in ac3 I have to change audio to stero

Glad Im not the only one … I should also add Im running latest firmware.

Anyone?

WOW… awesome advice on this forum… :angry:

Well… time to say goodbye to Western Digital TV Live…

Not going to bother with the WD TV Hub since the “guts” are pretty much identical to the WD TV Live plus…  went out and baught myself a Boxee Box today… All my audio problems are gone…  this thing rocks… way faster than my WD TV Live, and WAY more functionality… not to mention the RF remote + full qwerty keyboard on the back is just AWESOME!

BYE BYE WD

We look forward to hearing from you on the Boxee forum!

Shad0w wrote:

WOW… awesome advice on this forum… :angry:

I could have helped but I never dealt with HD audio before, and DTS files work fine with me via my Sherwood RD-8504.  Did you research the issue by searching the forum?  Multiple issues with HD audio have been discussed and it is better to research this here before asking or at least give a description of the setup and hardware used.

There is a plethora of formats out there and such issues will dog each and every media player.  There is no magical bullet/media player that will solve each and every issue.  WD media players, in my view, are still the best, and I am learning to navigate around any weaknesses they have.  You should do same before throwing in the towel by getting another media player that will give you its own problems.

I have this same problem and it is driving me crazy. I do not want to play movies on stereo as I lose the surround sound effect that comes with Blu Ray files.  Below is an example of the m2ts file that works with Digital Audio and one that doesn’t.  I would really appreciate some help on this issue.   Let me know if you need the video information for these files as well.  

Working m2ts file information: 

Audio #1 
ID : 4352 (0x1100) 
Menu ID : 1 (0x1) 
Format :  DTS 
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems 
Format profile : MA 
Muxing mode : Stream extension 
Codec ID : 134 
Duration : 2h 37mn 
Bit rate mode : Variable 
Channel(s) : 6 channels 
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R,  LFE 
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz 
Bit depth : 24 bits 
Compression mode : Lossy 

m2ts file that has no sound: 
Audio #1 
ID : 4352 (0x1100) 
Menu ID : 1 (0x1) 
Format : AC-3 
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3 
Format profile : TrueHD / Core 
Mode extension : CM (complete main) 
Muxing mode : Stream extension 
Codec ID : 131 
Duration : 1h 30mn 
Bit rate mode : Variable / Constant 
Bit rate : 448 Kbps 
Maximum bit rate : 5 214 Kbps 
Channel(s) : 6 channels 
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE 
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz 
Bit depth : 16 bits 
Compression mode : Lossy 
Stream size : 291 MiB (2%)

Please cast your vote to this thread http://community.wdc.com/t5/Live-Hub-Ideas/Support-Digital-Pass-Through-of-DTS-HD-MA-Audio/idc-p/129760#M165 We must get WD to WORK HARDER to sort out this problem.

Shad0w wrote:

Not going to bother with the WD TV Hub since the “guts” are pretty much identical to the WD TV Live plus…  went out and baught myself a Boxee Box today… All my audio problems are gone…  this thing rocks… way faster than my WD TV Live, and WAY more functionality… not to mention the RF remote + full qwerty keyboard on the back is just AWESOME!

BYE BYE WD

Wait for me. Im coming to join you for Boxee.

josephtanyh wrote:

Shad0w wrote:

BYE BYE WD

Wait for me. Im coming to join you for Boxee.

Boxee Box does have DTS-HD bitstreaming but apparently there are currently audio dropouts and it needs fixing?

Check out the Boxee forums and AVS forums before laying out any cash and get the latest status on any major issues, make sure it will meet your demands (e.g. still no Netflix; they seem to be having trouble meeting Netflix’s DRM security requirements).  

Tony already returned his Boxee Box.  Reading around, it has a pretty high return rate (I’d be tempted by a cheap refurb mind you!!).

Thanks. I will have to wait till 2nd quarter for my country to bring it in.