Problem with DTS HD on surround sound

Hi,

I have recently bought a wd tv live and have been ripping my blu rays to MKV files.

I’m having problems with DTS HD. I have my WD box connected to my Panasonic BT735 surround system by optical output.

When i select ‘Digital’ vis the audio settings, i get no sound playing through my surround sound.

when i select ‘stereo’ it does play though i’m presuming this isn’t true 5.1???

Isn’t the WD TV live supposed to support DTS HD passthrough?

I also read somwhere that optical output doesn’t have the bandwidth for DTS HD?

Please help!

No, the WDTVs do not support DTS HD.

And is possible to integrate this function in future firmware?

kimbersnev wrote:

Isn’t the WD TV live supposed to support DTS HD passthrough?

I also read somwhere that optical output doesn’t have the bandwidth for DTS HD?

Please help!

The WD TV Live doesn’t support DTS-HD right now.  There’s some kind of absurd licensing issue, mainly because DTS’s ageing licensing model doesn’t recognise media streamers like the WD TV.  Other manufacturers have found a way… WD is still working it out.

Even if the Live did support DTS-HD, it probably wouldn’t work for you because of the Optical bandwidth issue you mention.

You need to connect to a capable receiver via HDMI to pass-through any lossless multi-channel audio (e.g. multi-channel LPCM, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc.).

As the wd live support true-hd from the version 1.03.49 is possible in next firmwares support and Dts-ma through the hdmi of course.Optical support till dts/dd.Lets hope wd make us a suprise.

Does the WDTV Live hardware even technically support DTS HD audio at all?

I know the “licensing” issue is getting in the way, but if that were no obstacle -could the Sigma 8655 as it’s implemetned in the WDTV Live properly bitstream  DTS-MA over the HDMI interface?

holding my breath…

BR

Bertrandr wrote:

Does the WDTV Live hardware even technically support DTS HD audio at all?

I know the “licensing” issue is getting in the way, but if that were no obstacle -could the Sigma 8655 as it’s implemetned in the WDTV Live properly bitstream  DTS-MA over the HDMI interface?

holding my breath… 

Yeah, the Sigma 8655 in the Live (and 8654 in the Plus and Hub) can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA no problem.

It’s purely a licensing issue, which makes it all the more annoying.  :)

Can’t understand why WD is taking so long into this. I bought a made in china media player. It support DTS HD. And it cost less then half a WD player!

josephtanyh wrote:
Can’t understand why WD is taking so long into this. I bought a made in china media player. It support DTS HD. And it cost less then half a WD player!

Cheap Chinese media player manufacturers rarely bother obtaining licenses for the tech they use. WD gets a bit more scrutiny. :wink:

Same here.Remember the wd tv first gen.It never support simple dts.But the wd tv live has many more support than the first gen and i hope the dts-ma is in the progress for the new firmware.

George19855 wrote:

Same here.Remember the wd tv first gen.It never support simple dts.But the wd tv live has many more support than the first gen and i hope the dts-ma is in the progress for the new firmware.

Actually of more pressing nature, in my personal opinion, is for WD to support 5.1 AAC and 5.1 FLAC by converting these into 5.1 LPCM.  DTS-HD and Dolby-HD is an over kill - and with FLAC being a lossless compression encoding, it is THE thing to support for people who do their own encodings without worrying about licensing etc…

7.1 HD audio is for people who live in auditoriums :slight_smile: or for people who are vain enough to get into the scam of buying more sepakers for their tiny apartments :D  Thank you very much, but 5.1 is enough for me.

Also, does not a Blu-Ray disc come with either AC3 5.1 or DTS 5.1 track?

I really hope WD looks into supporting 5.1 AAC and 5.1 FLAC.