Wd purple used for PVR?

Hello,

I Know You have a version for this. Av gp But Maximum is 4tb.

THe purple is a Little more expansive, But has 6tb. How would it be, if i put it into an Linux Receiver. Its 24-7 ready, and have to To Play, Record Movies. Sometimes more Than one Record.

Do You See a Problem. Ob would You say: Better do not do that? By the way, Nearly Every hdd Runned Fine. But Know i am buying an New one. So i want to make ist perfekt, and 200-300 € are too much to Make Something bad.

Please Tell me. Best Regards from Germany

Ps Keyboard Makes it Hard to Write in Little keys- it is automatically

My englisch is very Bad. Sorry for this. But it would be nice, if You Tell me.

The Question is:

Can You use The purple version for Av by using a Linux Receiver (Hd recorder / PVR)?

Hello Hans_Brel!

I apologize for answering just now!

It’s okay, your English is not as bad as you think, but let’s see if I understand your question correctly. :slight_smile:

You would like to use a Linux-based Personal Video Recorder with a larger 6TB WD Purple so that you can record and play movies, and sometimes run more than one recording at a time? We will need a bit more detail. :slight_smile:

Could please provide the name and/or model of the PVR device you would be using, the Linux-based software and what other types of drives (also as capacity) you have used with it. I understand changing the HDD is basically an upgrade for a process you have already been doing? How will you be recording the movies? I suppose you don’t intent recording from surveillance cameras, too, just the movies?

Generally, the WD Purple hard drive line is designed for 24/7 surveillance recording and security systems; there is actually no Purple AV drive. There is however WD Purple NV which is an upgraded version of the WD Purple, for NVR digital surveillance systems and capability to stream from up to 64 cameras. The WD AV is the go-to drive for always-on streaming digital audio and video environments like a PVR.

Awaiting for your reply! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

CK_WD

Hi,

it is a Dreambox 8000 from Dream Multimedia with oe.20. i used (Do not hit me) a Samsung Hd 204 and THe Last in THe box was seagate nas version 4 TB. It run very Fine so far, But i Read in German PVR Forum that wd red (nas versions) would not be THe best Choice because they are Made for always Running and not for Tasks like Daily Start and stop and beeing always On Standby, so if You push THe Record Or Play Button it has to be direcclty on Fire. I am just Afraid of Loosing data, i guess. Maybe a little But stupid.

After Hours of Reading i Found THe purple but it Seems it is also for beeing put in nas (Something like this) for best. But i Cannot Imagine b Reading THe Description it is Worth that others.

I just want a very quiet hdd with 6tb, that is absolut stabil and wont make me Problems. So i will give a wd Blue 6tb Or a purple THe Choice.

And if You say: You will have a very quiet and stabil hdd with THe Blue one. I will give this one a Chance.

Greetings

It’s okay, of course! :wink:

The WD Red drives are specifically designed for NAS and RAID environments, they have a smaller RPM of 5400 for more steady performance and specific NAS features. The WD Purple is for surveillance, you can check my previous post (and its hyperlinks). Either of these wouldn’t be the right fit or design to use in your PVR, which I see can handle 3.5’’ drives in any capacity.

The WD Blue drive in the 6TB version is again with a smaller RPM of 5400 and has IntelliSeek features. It’s design is for use in desktops, All-in-One PCs, notebooks and external enclosures.

My personal advice would be to after all use a drive designed for PVR recording use, such as the WD AV drive, despite the fact it is only up to 4TB of capacity. :confused:

Using the correct drive for your certain preference may ensure you with better performance and longer HDD life, alongside safely kept data, in comparison to choosing a drive which hasn’t been designed for the job.

Another advice I could give you would be to keep regular back ups of your data.

Best of luck and I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

CK_WD

I will See what i will do thank You very much.

Of course, write back to update! :slight_smile:

I was researching same OP question too and thought I would share my experience about changing HDD in Toshiba J35 (circa 2005) 160GB and Topfield TRF-7160 (circa 2013) 500GB PVRs, which I had to do due to bad sectors. One shipped with a 160GB, the other with 500GB. I put bigger drives 500GB and 1TB respectively. Obviously don’t pick one with a disk RPM speed less than what you replacing and assuming HDD, not SSD, or next gen in case your reading this way in future :wink:

Here are some general tips if your going to a BIGGER HD drive:

You may notice when their is an unexpected shutdown (eg. power outage) PVR units generally do filesystem check. It can be annoying slow to complete its startup housekeeping after the power break.

You MAY also notice resume from standby (= disk spin up, and probably an abbreviated file system check) takes a bit longer as well. The recording may start later this maybe a handful of seconds. It’s a minor issue just do a test.

Bringing up the list of recorded programs on disk may also slow down. PVR designer may have never tested more than 100 recording entries because they assume disk would fill before that (I had a PVR that allow max 100 recording regardless of free space - probably an in memory fixed table).

If your going to a bigger disk, after formatting new disk in PVR take it out and put it in a desktop machine and take a look at partition layout with a PC live boot CD like GpartED or Clonezilla just to make sure PVR formatted and used all space. For example I reassured myself all 1TB of the new drive was allocated in the partition. If not I would have expanded partition using PartEd. I am assuming most PVRs go with well known file system format otherwise resize is not an option. For the next few months I filled disk to capacity by not deleting recordings confirming it was not going to have any problems with larger disk size at full capacity - better safe than sorry.

I found all the several hundred recordings in one folder (default setup for PVR) was very slow but moving into sub-folders addressed that.