WD Photos - Public Shares only? Can move to Private shares?

Hi,

I was reading from the manual that in order for WD Photos to display photos on Ipad, all photos must be stored in the Public shares.  I like this application but is there a way I can store it into my private share?

I would like my family members to view the photos via their Ipad and Iphone and not to public user who has access to some of my photos…is there a way out?

Im having the same problem, I didn’t read the manual all the way and moved my pictures to a private share that I crated and none of my pictures are showing up on my Xoom. These WD network drives are expensive, I hope there is a way to fix this

Sorry, this is as designed. There are no plans in the near future to change this requirement, though personally I would like to be able to do this as well.

Hi,

I have the same needs. I have not tested but, would it be possible to access the MBL by SSH and make a symbolic link from a folder in “public” to a folder in your “private” shares? I think that it should works. This way you could storage your files in the private shares but access them by iPAD by the public shares.

I’m not at home, i would test it and post the results!

Bye.

Given that the WD Photos activation code is associated with a particular user (who can have rights to private shares), and that each private share can be configred as a media server to serve photos, it makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever that I can only view photos in the public share. Please fix this, it’s a bug.

yoyok wrote:

Given that the WD Photos activation code is associated with a particular user (who can have rights to private shares), and that each private share can be configred as a media server to serve photos, it makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever that I can only view photos in the public share. Please fix this, it’s a bug.

Given that the WD Photos activation code is associated with a particular user

No, it’s not.

The activation code is associated with a specific MOBILE DEVICE, not a specific MBL USER.

each private share can be configred as a media server to serve photos,

That’s only with respect to TWONKY.   Twonky has no relation to the WDPhotos app.

Now, if you want to use TWONKY to serve photos to your mobile device, there’s plenty of tutorials online on how to do that.

Please fix this, it’s a bug.

No, it’s not…  

Hi Tony, thank you for the response.

When I generate an activation code, I am asked to select an associated user account on the storage device. I assume that the activation code is associated with the credentials of that user and could therefore be used to access any shares to which that user has permissions. Certainly it seems logical that it could work that way,  so if this isn’t a bug then I would suggest that it’s at least a design oversight.

I will look into TWONKY, thanks for the tip (WD Photos, WD2go, MioNet, TWONKY … why are there four different ways to do the same thing – access files on the device?)