WD Passport not readable on Mac

Hi, am new here.

So yesterday I connected my WD Passport ext HD to a macbook via a multi-usb hub (as the usb end of the WD Passport was a normal usb plug, not usb-c). The usb port on the multi-usb hub says usb 3.0.

So I accidentally pulled out the usb of my WD Passport without ejecting it with the proper procedure. When I tried plugging it back via the multi-usb hub to the macbook, the prompt comes up and says “the disk you attached is not readable by this computer.” I tried direct plugging into my iMac and I got the same prompt :pensive:

What I’ve tried since:
• Restart the macbook and plugging the WD Passport via the multi-usb hub to the macbook, doesn’t work, same prompt appeared

• Restart iMac and direct plugged in the WD Passport, doesn’t work, same prompt appeared

• Installed WD Utility Drive and ran tests:

1. Status of Drive, passed
  2. Quick Drive test, 1st rd passed, 2nd rd failed
  3. Complete Test Drive, failed within 1min scan

• Ran first aid on apple’s disk utility, no issues surfaced. But the HD’s name was the original name, not what I had labeled it

I tried softwares like iBoysoft scan, 1 hr into the scan and only 8%, but no files showed up. :sob:

Before bringing out my WD Passport, Ive had it plugged into my iMac all this time, using it without the WD Utility drive and had no issues.

How do I salvage this and get back my data?

Thank you in adv.

Is it possible to do the cloning on a Linux live USB boot drive on my mac? (forgive me if I’m using that terminology wrong) Or would it be best to find a pc where I can do a full Linux install.

Whenever you connect an external drive to your mac, the storage drive may not show up on Desktop, Finder or even on Disk Utility due to various reasons:

1. USB connectivity problem
  2. MacOS preference settings
  3. Partition map damage
  4. Device incompatibility
  5. Physical damage on a drive

However, to fix the issue, you can try the below methods:

1. Check the USB connectivity
  2. Enable visibility of external hard drive
  3. Update macOS
  4. Repair external hard drive by using Disk Utility
  5. Repair external hard drive by using Terminal
  6. Erase the external hard drive
  7. If none of the above works, then the drive needs replacement

Further, you can also check the below link for steps to be followed in each method mentioned above:

Hope it helps!