WD Passport Drives Running Out of Space

Here is an e-mail I just sent to WD Support. A tech took over my just- bought 1 TB My Passport computers yesterday. Cab any one help?

to WD

Danny, thanks for helping me yesterday, but here is my problem.

I bought two 1 TB My Passport drives. Looking at one of the drives, I have one large folder that is takes up around 259 GB.

That’s it!

The other folders amount to very little space. Yet, of the 931 GB I purchased, only 212 GB are now available. I should have 719 left!

The other drive is the same. I should have approx. 617 GB remaining, yet I have only 331.

Both drives used WD Discovery/Backup, and should be exactly the same…

I should have a heck of a lot more space available on both drives! That’s why I bought them.

I started deleting folders, as you suggested, but I shouldn’t have to do this.

One of my old My Book drives recently crashed, but I have two that have lasted for years!

My c drive still has 493 GB remaining! The largest folder takes up 274 GB and is only 54% full!

Something is not right! Can I delete all of the WD Discovery/Backup folders and just save to the two drives manually?

Please help.

Hi,

Typically my WD Backup uses nearly double of the space on the internal drives. It seems the extras storage goes to tracking changes and backups. Unless you make numerous changes on your computer, you should set the schedule to only a few days per week. Certainly not hourly like I had originally. You can get an idea of how often you are backing up by looking at the Restore option and clicking Select files to restore. That will show you how many backups have been made. I never found a way to remove any unneeded backups. If you can, maybe use WD Drive Utilities to Erase the Passbook and start over.

Cliff

Thanks! I had been using two new My Passport drives to back up my c drive. I’ve been storing in the c drive (931 GB) for many years, and it is still only half full. I thought I was storing the exact same files on the two (1 TB) drives, but now I’ve discovered that many of the folders on one drive are missing on the other. My two My passport drives are almost full; I’ve only used a bit more than 260 GB on each drive
I will contact WD Support next week. I want the tech to completely remove all of the WD Backup files. I will no longer use automatic backup, but will manually back up files when I want to.