"Unable to back up files to My Passport because there is not enough space"

I just got a brand new 2 TB external My Passport drive. I installed the WD programs/utilities/whatever and started up the WD Backup for my C drive that has about 700 GB of data (out of 1 TB). When I try to backup the entire C: drive, the WD Backup says there’s not enough space. 1.81 TB (the amount of the 2 TB drive that’s usable) is DEFINITELY enough space for 700 GB! What is going on? I tried reformatting the drive but it says the same thing.

Nevermind, reinstalled all the programs, reformatted the drive for the third time, and NOW it’s letting me backup :confused: What the heck though…

I’m glad the application is working properly.

I am having the same problem on a new computer running Windows 10. My drive is formatted as NTFS. Any other solution other than reinstalling and reformatting and keeping fingers crossed?

Has anyone found a solution to this? I’m having the same problem, I’ve reformatted the drive and reinstalled the app but it still always says there’s not enough space on the empty drive.

Hi terriblepun.
Can I ask you, how did you reformat the drive? Didn’t you lose all the standard WD software that was on it? Isn’t that necessary for making backups? I would reformat it, but I’m scared that I will lose all the software from WD Backup

I just reformatted it using the normal option built into Windows. It does erase the software, but you can re-download it so it’s not a big deal.

I’m going to be honest with you though: the drive continued experiencing this Not Enough Space issue randomly. I ended up completely removing everything related to WD from it and my computer and it works perfectly now. You don’t need any of WD’s utilities to use the drive; Windows 10 has its own backup utility and if you have the Pro version it comes with BitLocker so you can still encrypt your drive if you want. (There’s other third party options out there too)