My Passport - storage issues

(Apologies if someone has already posted this, but I couldn’t find the same problem brought up anywhere.)

Hoping someone can help!

I’ve had a 1TB My Passport for a couple of months now. Bought it to use with a brand new laptop. The laptop doesn’t have much hard drive space, so to keep it unclogged I have another, older external hard drive (Samsung) that I use to store docs / pictures etc. on (I know I should have a backup for them, but that’s an issue for another time). Point is, I have barely any files stored on the laptop itself. I bought the WD Passport to use purely as a system backup.

I created an hourly backup schedule on WD Backup, and it worked fine (as far as I could tell) for a while. But suddenly, out of nowhere, it’s gone from having about 95% free space to 3% free space. I’ve checked the folders, and it’s clearly the backup data that’s suddenly taking up all the room, but I don’t understand why or how, and when I try to delete the backup files it just… won’t. It says they’re deleting, and it brings up the box to show deletion progress, but then it finishes and it’s all still there on the passport.

I thought it might have something to do with the Windows 10 Creators’ Update I installed, so I’ve uninstalled that and reverted back to the previous version of Windows 10, but I’ve still got the same issue.

Little help? At the moment my WD Passport is next to useless :confused:

Hi jtarnold88,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en
The link below will allow you to call support.

Thank you!

I am having similar issues, where it looks like it has started backing up the whole my documents, rather than adding new or replacing updated files. I have submitted a support request, and waiting a response