WD Mybook that will not mount

I have a Macbook Pro. I recently purchased a My Book 6TB for my photographs which I manage in Lightroom, the catalogue being on my MacBook.

A member of my family disconnected the My Book without properly ejecting it. They simply pulled out the connection. When I found out I exited Lightroom on my Macbook and then tried to reconnect the My Book. It will not mount.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do? Is the My Book ruined?

Best regards,

John

Hi @SpeedyJ ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

Restart the MacBook and reconnect the My Book to resolve the mounting issue.

In fact, the problem resolved itself several hours later so I now have full access to the WD My Book and nothing seems to have been corrupted. Phew!!

Don’t panic, John! There’s still hope for your My Book and your precious photographs.

1. Basic Troubleshooting:

• Check Connections, Restart Devices: Restart both your Macbook and the My Book (if it has a power button).
  • Check Disk Utility: Open Disk Utility on your Macbook. If the My Book appears, try running “First Aid” to check and repair disk errors.

2. Lightroom Catalog:

• Repair and Backup Lightroom Catalog: Locate your Lightroom catalog on your Macbook (typically in Pictures/Lightroom) and copy it to another drive as a precaution. Open Lightroom, hold down “Option” while launching, and choose “Repair Catalog” to attempt automatic repair.

3. WD My Book Utilities:

• Download and install WD My Book utilities: Western Digital offers software specific to their drives. This may help diagnose and fix issues.
  • Run diagnostics: Use the utilities to run diagnostics on the My Book and check for hardware problems.

4. Data Recovery Software:

• If the My Book doesn’t mount or appears inaccessible, consider data recovery software like Stellar Data Recovery, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, or Disk Drill.
  • Use these programs on another computer to scan the My Book for recoverable files. Be aware that this might not work if the drive is physically damaged.

5. WD Support:

• If none of the above steps work, contact WD support for their assistance. They might have specific solutions or warranty options available.

Important reminders:

• Stop using the My Book: To avoid further data loss, don’t write or save anything to the drive until you recover your data.
  • Manage expectations: Data recovery isn’t always guaranteed, especially if the drive suffered physical damage.
  • Backup regularly: This situation highlights the importance of regular backups to protect your valuable data.

Further Resources: