WD My Passport Ultra not recognised on Macbook Pro - Yosemite

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra and have a Mac Book Pro Retina 13-inch early 2015 running Yosemite 10.10.5. I was advised in the shop that I simply had to reformat the hard drive to use it as a backup for my Mac. However, in following the instructions for reformatting, I couldn’t do anything because my computer will not recognise the hard drive is there. The light is on on the hard drive and I can hear it working. Is the WD drive just not compatible with later versions of OSX? Or am I doing something completely wrong? Help!
I was hoping to upgrade to El Capitan after a backup too, please advise if the hard drive won’t work with that either!

Any ideas…? Thank you in advance

Hi there,

I don’t see any reason why the unit should not show up on the computer, try to go to disk utility and verify if the passport unit comes up there. Hope this helps

Hello, I have same problem. Did u find any solution?

I am also having this problem. Just received the 3TB drive from Amazon, brand new, connected it to my (less than a year-old MBP) and it doesnt show up on the Desktop, in Finder, or in Disk Utility.

Please help. I was very excited to get the hard drive, but now couldnt be more disappointed.

Hi Matt_H

I got mine to begin working by doing the strangest thing…re-starting my computer. I did this and plugged it in again and the hard drive was recognised! Hope you manage to fix yours!