I have an External WD My Book Essential 3tb that I was running a windows check disk with both options checked (fix file system errors, attempt recovery of bad sectors) during the process the check disk got hung up (ran overnight). I had to unplug the drive and restart the computer. Afterwards I would plug the usb in and the disk would not show, until after 5 minutes when it would come up as E:Local Disk instead of the usual E:My Book. Then after anout 15 minutes showing E:Local Disk, it would finally start showing as E:My Book with all of my files. However trying to access the files would make windows hang, and sometimes throw it back and forth from E:Local Disk to E:My Book.
I ran a chkdsk from cmd first checking for file errors /f and it found very few errors and said that it fixed them. I then ran chkdsk /r which it made it to step 4 and got hung up halfway through for hours. I had to abort the procedure. I then ran testdisk to check for partition problems or a problem with the mbr. Testdisk showed the partition 3 different times. So I chose the first one and tried to fix the partition with a write also the mbr with a write to. This did not fix my problem.
If I leave the drive plugged in long enough, it seems to start working and I can see all of my files. However, when I try to copy them to another drive the whole system freezes up and I cannot copy any files. So, I decided to try xcopy from command prompt copying all files from directory to another external drive. This works, but very slowly and I have 1.75tb of data to transfer which at the speed it is could take a month or more.
Questions I have, I can see my files, I know they are there. I can hear the disk spinning although I can also feel it somewhat “small jerk” every now and then. Should I possibly remove it from its encasement and hook it up internally?? I have heard that WD drives use encryption on their drives, so would that even be an option? Is there any chance that the slow speed and choppy access are from the usb connector?? Or is the drive going bad and I must take the slow route if I want to recover all of my files??
I have tried a lot of different options to remedy except taking it out of its case. I have tried to use: Acronis which freezes up when trying to access drive, Paragon- which also freezes. Tried, Easeus which does not allow me to choose the disk. I have hooked it up to multiple systems running different versions of windows (XP,Vista,7) all have the same outcome.
When testdisk was running an analyse cylinder (which was also running very very slow) is when I had the most access to the disk and actually had the flashing light go solid for awhile. But, again I had to abort the analyse cylinder because after 24hours it had not even gotten to 1%. But, that was only on one of the three partitions shown in testdisk. I really need some advice on this one- copying over my files with xcopy is working but will take probably a month to transfer…
System: Windows 7, I5 pentium, 6g ram
One more thing, when I try to check the disk in disk management it freezes up, unless it is after the half hour load time for the disk. When it shows it shows disk as healthy active.