WD My Book Essential 2 issues in one? HELP please!

Was not quite sure how to word the title as my issue here is very unique. I joined here just to post this issue and hope for help because I am at my whits end here. I’ve seen many with either one issue or the other similar to what I have, but none with both problems at the same time.

About 3 years ago, I bought a My Book Essential 2tb external hard drive (wdbaaf0020hbk ). I have never had any problem with this drive. I installed the software on my main PC, and just used the ‘plug and play’ way for my lap top. No problems. Always been able to back up my files.

Recently, I had taken a trip to a friend’s house, with my laptop and the HD. I was able to use the hard drive on the lap top, no problems, shut down the lap top, the HD shut off. No issue. Came home, plugged in the HD and hooked it up to my PC as I have done several times int the past before. The blue light in the front blinked once and after plugging in the USB, it did not come on. No spimming, no noise, nothing. I unplugged the HD from the jack and tried the ‘direct wall plug’ approach. Still nothing. No power start up at all. For 2 days, I tried to figure out the issue.

To my (rather stupid) realization, I noticed the power button on the back of the HD. Now I have NEVER had to use that button since I normally would plug it in, and it would work fine. However I pushed it once, the light blinked but the drive did not start up. I pressed it again, and again and finally the light began to blink and the HD began to spin, like it was on. However my computer did not recognize the drive. At all. Normally there are several lights indicating storage use/space on the front of the drive that light up, along with the power light, but they have not shown up. The power light also would just stay on.

After about 20 minutes though of the light being on and staying on, the power light would blink continuously, not rapidly, just in a manner of ‘blink…blink…blink…blink’ The computer still does not recognize the drive.

I have tried going into disc managment, the drive does not show up at all so there is nothing to rename.

I have tried using the actual smartware software, the drive does not come up at all.

I have tried using the WD SmartWare Utilities (VCD & Firmware) for Windows but it doesn’t even recognize there’s a drive there. It says it needs to be plugged in which it is, but… nothing.

I have unplugged all the wires, USB and plug itself. Restarted the computer, plugged in the drive, hooked up the USB. Nothing changes.

I have tried using the saftey remove hardware. The drive does not show up at all.

I have shut down my pc while the power light is on and it STAYS on. The drive does not shut down unless I unplug it.

I have restarted my pc while the power light is on but the drive is still not recognized.

I have tried unplugging and replugging the power plug in in both a surge protector AND wall jack directly. The only thing that hppens there is that I have to go through the process of pressing the power button in the back again, and i’ll end up with the same problem(s).

I have tried switching USB  sources, from front of the pc to the back and actually changing to a different USB itself. Still nothing.

I have tried all these methods on my lap top as well. Nothing is working.

The software is up to date and the driver(s) are up to date.

I have not heard any clicking noises from the drive.

If it is of any help, my PC is vista (x86) and my laptop is windows 7 (64)

After searching and searching this forum, I have seen many people with one issue or the other, but mine seems to pertain to what I guess is power and USB? I REALLY hope my drive isn’t damaged beyond repair. Im not worried about a warrenty since it’s over 3 years old now. I have not dropped the drive or hit it against anything.

In fact I even tried this UVCView utility and I dont understand what it’s saying at all.

This is what I get

—===>Device Information<===—
English product name: “Mass Storage Device”

ConnectionStatus:                  
Current Config Value:              0x01  → Device Bus Speed: High
Device Address:                    0x01
Open Pipes:                           2

===>Endpoint Descriptor<===
bLength:                           0x07
bDescriptorType:                   0x05
bEndpointAddress:                  0x01  → Direction: OUT - EndpointID: 1
bmAttributes:                      0x02  → Bulk Transfer Type
wMaxPacketSize:                  0x0200 = 0x200 max bytes
bInterval:                         0x00

bEndpointAddress:                  0x82  → Direction: IN - EndpointID: 2

===>Device Descriptor<===
bLength:                           0x12
bDescriptorType:                   0x01
bcdUSB:                          0x0200
bDeviceClass:                      0x00  → This is an Interface Class Defined Device
bDeviceSubClass:                   0x00
bDeviceProtocol:                   0x00
bMaxPacketSize0:                   0x40 = (64) Bytes
idVendor:                        0x058F = Alcor Micro, Corp.
idProduct:                       0x6377
bcdDevice:                       0x0100
iManufacturer:                     0x01
     English (United States)  “Generic”
iProduct:                          0x02
     English (United States)  “Mass Storage Device”
iSerialNumber:                     0x03
     English (United States)  “920321111113”
bNumConfigurations:                0x01

===>Configuration Descriptor<===
bLength:                           0x09
bDescriptorType:                   0x02
wTotalLength:                    0x0020  → Validated
bNumInterfaces:                    0x01
bConfigurationValue:               0x01
iConfiguration:                    0x00
bmAttributes:                      0x80  → Bus Powered
MaxPower:                          0x32 = 100 mA

===>Interface Descriptor<===
bLength:                           0x09
bDescriptorType:                   0x04
bInterfaceNumber:                  0x00
bAlternateSetting:                 0x00
bNumEndpoints:                     0x02
bInterfaceClass:                   0x08  → This is a Mass Storage USB Device Interface Class
bInterfaceSubClass:                0x06
bInterfaceProtocol:                0x50
iInterface:                        0x00

bEndpointAddress:                  0x01  → Direction: OUT - EndpointID: 1

bEndpointAddress:                  0x82  → Direction: IN - EndpointID: 2

Please PLEASE someone help me here. I’m getting desperate. I had over 1.5 TB of stuff on that drive. Important things that I cannot get back without accessing the drive.

I’m not that computer savvy so there’s probably some terms that don’t mean anything to be so i’d need a bit of a detailed explanation as possible. Please if anyone can help, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks for reading such a long post.

The first thing that I would try would be to get a replacement power cable, try calling tech support for that. If that doesn’t help then unfortunately the hard drive could have a hardware problem and to recover your files you would need professional help.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en

Thank you for the response. I will look into that.

Is it possible the USB cable port may be an issue?

I looked on the back of the drive and noticed that where the port for the USB cord is, it seemed rather misaligned, like it was bent from the inside.

I have both the power and usb cord problem and i dont want to lose my data. If you find a solution pls reply me asap.