WD Live TV won't turn on ?!

Hello there,

I have the old model WD Live TV, here is a picture :

I haven’t used it for a while (probably months…), and it wasn’t even connected to its power supply too…

Few days ago I tried to turn it on. It didn’t work. I thought the remote control was dead, I changed the battery, didn’t work. I changed of remote control itself for 8€, fail again. I disconnected my USB hard drive from it, as well as the USB key. Still nothing. The power led doesn’t turn on at all. Zero signal. It’s not a queston of firmware, because I have never updated it…
I found a topic here about that kind of problem :

and the last message could be related to mine :

“But if I leave it untouched for an extended time, then it won’t turn back on from standby with the remote – I have to power cycle it.”

But I don’t know what does he mean by “I have to power cycle it”. I tried to connect and disconnect the power cable many times, but it didn’t help…

Does anyone here have a solution ? ( I’m almost sure the power supply is ok. )

If the Power LED on the front on the WDTV is not turning on … then that’s got nothing to do with the remote control. (the WDTV when switched on at the wall socket will automatically power on without a remote control … it’ll do the same thing if there is a power blackout and when the power is restored it will automatically power on.)

If you’re sure the power supply is ok … then it could probably be electrolytic condensers that have leaked (which is very common in old electronics) and are now stuffed causing the WDTV not to power on.

Inside …

And if any of them have a domed top (not flat) or look like this … then that’s the problem
blown_cap

arf… I was expecting that answer … :confused:

I’ll see how to open the case and check the condensers

Ok case open…
And everything is in perfect condition, no dust, condensers are 100% clean… !

I bought a new power supply, that’s the last option, I’ll be back for a status update

I had the same problem.
My WD TV Live works perfectly until turned off with the remote.
The unit couldn’t be switched on with the remote, so the power needed to be unplugged and replugged.
THIS IS A HARDWARE FAULT DUE TO A FAILING 470uF 6.3V CAPACITOR.
Refer to attached image showing the replacement capacitor which looks weird because it’s soldered above the board (rather than below).