WD LINK doesn't detect my MyBookLive

Have MyBookLive 2TB (>1 month old) with Firmware 02.02.02-020 : Core F/W

WD LINK - v1.00.03

• installed WD Link on Computer#1 (XP-SP3 system), ran it, it detected the MBL right away.

• Installed WD Link (from same .exe file located on MBL) on another Computer#2 (XP-SP3  system) on same LAN workgroup; no drives are detected. Have opened/closed, removed & reinstalled, disabled firewall, but no change. The MBL can be seen and reached via browser and file Explorer. LAN IP addresses are DHCP-assigned.

Any ideas?

If you can access the drive, in the second computer, you do not need to use WD Link, this is only used to access and map the drive.

WD Link allows users to

• Create a Desktop shortcut to the MyBook (with an icon graphically representative of the WD drive)

• via the ‘Configure’ button, open the MyBook login/admin webpage

• Map a shared folder to a local drive letter

• via the ‘Browse’ buttton, open and browse any of the MyBook shares (pending access permission is granted).

There are alternative ways to do ALL of the above without using the utility, but the point of my post was to share that this new utility appears to have an issue (on some computers, and without alerting the user to a problem), and to solicit help for getting it to work. Saying “you do not need to use WD Link” is a terrible answer.

DanielBry wrote:

WD Link allows users to

• Create a Desktop shortcut to the MyBook (with an icon graphically representative of the WD drive)
  • via the ‘Configure’ button, open the MyBook login/admin webpage
  • Map a shared folder to a local drive letter
  • via the ‘Browse’ buttton, open and browse any of the MyBook shares (pending access permission is granted).

There are alternative ways to do ALL of the above without using the utility, but the point of my post was to share that this new utility appears to have an issue (on some computers, and without alerting the user to a problem), and to solicit help for getting it to work. Saying “you do not need to use WD Link” is a terrible answer.

• Windows lets you do that on its own.

• Install the quickview

• Windows lets you do that on its own

• Same as above

Update Firmware to -129

Actually, I found the problem/a workaround - I changed a setting in Windows for my WIFI adapter, and it is now able to communicate with the MBL. The setting was ‘concatenation’ and with it set to ‘on’, I was having the problem, with it set to ‘off’, no problem.

I found an article that describes wifi concatenation like this:

Frame Concatenation
  • merging data from several packets into one (packet size - up to 4000 bytes)

• increases throughput by removing overheads from "extra" frames and interframe latencies

So it would seem some vital packets were getting merged and the WD Link software was therefore not able to detect a response?