WD external My Passport HDD not detecting

1. When I connect WD external HDD in disk management it shows “Connecting to Virtual Disk Service”. But when I remove the WD external HDD or connect the other HDD that I have then it shows all the disks properly.

2. When I connect the WD external HDD it is showing in device manager and even the drivers are up to date.

3. Disk drive letter is showing but it is not opening.

4. I am getting the option to eject the HDD in the taskbar.

5. The light is blinking on the HDD.

6. The cord is also working fine.

So with all the above observations, the issue is that the HDD is not opening.

2 Likes

Hi @NileshThorve,

Please refer below link to test health of your drive using Western Digital Drive utility:

Title: Setting up and using WD Drive Utilities
Link: How to Install and Use WD Security and WD Drive Utilities Features

1 Like

I have the same problem, and neither Western Digital Drive utility or Dashboard is able to locate the drive. What do I do now?

2 Likes

Was anyone able to help on this? I’m in the same situation where Drive letter shows up but not opening.

2 Likes

Hi,
Can you please tell me are you unable to edit the drive letter? or what problem are you facing exactly?
So as per my understanding what can i see is you are unable to access the drive . So it might be that you dont have the adminstrative permission.
If you are running Windows 10 then follow below steps to access your inaccessible drive:

• Right-click on the inaccessible drive.
  • Now go to the ‘Properties’ section.
  • Select the ‘Security’ and click on the ‘Edit’ button.
  • The “Permissions for New Volume (E:)” dialog box appears, as shown in the figure below. Click the ‘Add’ button to continue.
  • Add a new user named ‘Authenticated User’ and Click ‘OK’.
  • From the permission section, give ‘full control’ to newly added user and click ‘OK’.
  • The dialog box will show two options: ‘Continue’ or ‘Cancel’.
  • Press Continue… and Cancel at last.
  • Now, you are done.

Let me know if this works for you.

1 Like

How can i click on the inaccessible drive when it doesn’t show up?

1 Like

Hi okay,

You can follow below mentioned steps:
Enable and Format the Drive in Disk Management
If your drive is powered on but still isn’t appearing in File Explorer, it’s time to do some digging.
Open the Start menu and type “disk management,” and press Enter when the Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions option appears. Once Disk Management loads, scroll down to see if your disk appears in the list. If it does, make sure it’s online and formatted. If it’s offline, right-click the disk’s name (e.g. “Disk 2”) and choose Online.

If the disk hasn’t been formatted (it’ll say “Unallocated” under a black bar), right-click it and choose New Simple Volume. This will also solve the problem if the drive is formatted for another operating system, as described above. Be warned that formatting it will erase any data on the drive, so only continue if you’re sure you don’t need anything from it.

Finally, if your drive is online and formatted, but doesn’t show a drive letter next to its name, right-click the volume and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths to add a drive letter. If you’re lucky, one of these simple steps should get your new drive up and running.

Clean the Disk and Start From Scratch

In some more specific cases, the drive will appear in Disk Management, but merely formatting the drive won’t work. This is extremely common with SD cards formatted with Linux distributions for the Raspberry Pi, for example.

To regain your drive’s full capacity, you’ll need to run Windows’ “clean” command, which will return the drive to a completely unformatted state. Again, this will erase anything on it, so only continue if you have no other options—and make extra sure you’re cleaning the correct disk, or you could lose a lot of data.

Open the Start menu, type “diskpart,” and press Enter to open the run command. When the prompt appears, type “list disk” and press Enter to see the disks plugged into your system. If you see the drive in question appear—pay close attention to its size—make a note of its name. We’ll use “Disk 2” in this example.

Type “select disk 2” and press Enter to select the disk you want to clean. Finally, type “clean” and press Enter. This will erase the disk, at which point you can follow the above steps to format it from the Disk Management console.

1 Like

You don’t listen you don’t read. The drive is formatted has been for 2 years. DOESN’t Show up anywhere’s on imac- I’ll repeat NOWHERE! I’ve already replaced with a different brand. Keep it this is the third drive I’ve purchased from WD never again. And it always breaks down after warranty ends.

2 Likes