WD Discovery eventually causes high CPU usage

If I run WD Discovery, eventually my CPU usage starts going up and up, to as high as 100%. If I quit WD Discovery, CPU usage goes back to normal. This happens eventually, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. Whether I have a portable hard drive plugged in or not makes little difference.

WD Drive Service/WD Drive Manager uses most of this CPU when this happens.

I have an i5 PC with Windows 10 64 bit, fully up to date.

What WD device is this happening with??

The software in question is WD Discovery v.3.2.256 and My Cloud Desktop v.2.1.0.21S. The problem happens even when the WD portable drive isn’t plugged in.

OK at least we know the device is a My Cloud . There are many My Cloud models, so tell us which model you have.

Better yet:

What WD Portable Drive? My Book? My Passport? What capacity?
Do you have a My Cloud Home? are you using Desktop Sync to the My Cloud Home?

No it’s not a My Cloud.

I think that support for the M.C.D. has been discontinued?

https://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26337/~/my-cloud-desktop-app-no-longer-works-with-a-my-cloud—login-not-authorized

I just tried it on my WD NAS and the WD My Cloud desktop app just will not see it or even authenticate using the activation code the NAS generates.

Can you try investigate from Task Manager or SysInternals Process Explorer what within WD Discovery is causing the high CPU usage? I’ve got WD Discovery (Not the Windows 10 store app!) running on my computer and not experienced high CPU usage.

I am wondering if I actually need WD Discovery installed? I only really need the WD Security and WD drive utilities for the external USB drive I’ve got.

I’m having a similar issue as OP with a My Cloud Home on Windows 10. The device isn’t currently using as much CPU as it was a few days ago, but I had noticed some spikes and constant noises coming from the device. I have since disabled “Sync to MCH” on the few folders I had set up for sync.

Is it normal to have multiple instances of the processes associated with WD Discovery? I also have “kdd.exe” and “kdd” (without the extension) processes running. I don’t remember seeing all of these extra processes before.

Also, My Cloud Desktop still appears in WD Discovery under Settings > More. Mine is currently showing an available update, but the update never completes.

Have same problem. And can’t see any sollution above. Here not eventually, always. About 50% cpu. Doing nothing(?) About 5 y old laptop, at that time high perfomance. Win10 image

I have the same problem Eventually there are several WDDiscovery.exe’s running and the P.C. slows down and eventually stops. I do not expect any advice. I created a Batch file which kills all of the instances, which I run as soon as the P.C. starts to slow down. Not elegant, but at least it solves the immediate issues.

I have a 2 year old laptop with i5 processor and 8 GB memory. Disk usage is at 100% most of the time. Top users includes kdd. I use the syncing function with My Cloud Home, a really nice feature but is making my computer work hard (I also have Sophos antivirus running all the time).

Does anyone know if I buy a computer with i7 processor and SSD will the problem still persist. I cannot let my computer die as I need it for work.

Any suggestions?