WD Caviar Blue (wd1600aajs) problem

I 'm trying to install windows xp on it,but when i try booting the CD,I keep getting the message “Reboot and select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media and press any key”

I’d like to mention that I installed using the same configuration (except the HDD) a few days ago and it worked just smooth so it’s gotta be the HDD.

Both the HDD and the optical drive are SATA.

Any suggestions ?

P.S.I used Data Lifeguard Diagnostics on it ,and though he managed to pass on the quck test and the extended test,at the Smart Status row it’s a question mark instead of a checked sign next to it saying PASS(how it shows on the other HDD i have)

Hello,

Have you try to install your drive in a different computer as a secondary drive?

yes and it is the same problem

In this case you need to contact WD for replacement.  You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

As far as I can understand, this is a XP installation issue. If possible use IDE (Not SATA) CD ROM  drive to boot WinXP CD. Then change CD ROM drive after the completion of installation. 

I had this issue several years back.

If this is not the case, I believe you get this error after completing first phase of the installation, try making smaller (500GB) partition for XP (after deleting existing partitions) on Advanced disk options.

Also check BOIS boot order (1 CD ROM, 2 WD HDD)  and remove all other external and internal drives during setup and disabling USB boot options.

Be sure to use Win XP SP2 or SP3 installation CD.