WD BLUE 250 GB SA510 issues

I created account here just to share my same exact experience, had the old generation and bought at least 500-600 of these and have even WD business credit line, the SA 510 has been nothing but trouble for us

The sad part is they made it hard to now find the old generation, The new firmware didnt fix it, the drive will go offline, would crash and would show BSOD

I hope western digital would fix this, we have dropped samsung for WD Blue old gen. WDS100T2B0A that was a flawless drive, works great and very stable, the new WDS100T3B0A is trash

I hope someone there from WD would read this and know they made the wrong move and would fix this especially for bulk consumers like us

2 Likes

Amen to this. Itā€™s making a bunch more work for me, and I get to explain to my customers that their almost brand new SSD that I convinced them to upgrade to has failed and that theyā€™ve lost any data they didnā€™t have backed up. I then have to cover it under warranty, replace the drive with a new different brand drive, reload the OS, and attempt to recover data from the bad drive. Itā€™s costing me a lotā€¦ and so far, nothing from WDā€¦ Iā€™ve been buying WD drives (HDD and SSD) exclusively since the early 2000ā€™s, but Iā€™ve had to switch to Samsung now as I canā€™t afford not to. Yeah - they cost a bit more off the bat, but theyā€™re reliable.

I ran into the same problem with WD Blue SA510 (WDS500G3B0A), Windows 10 showed a BSOD and after restarting the computer the BIOS didnā€™t detect the SSD. Iā€™m sure it wasnā€™t a power and data cable issue. Because the test has changed the cable. But after replacing other ssds, no such symptoms were found. Please check and fix the problem. causing a lack of credibility in the next purchase.

I have the same problem and I have recovered data with the following steps.

• I clone my broken SSD with new one on a clone station (the process stops at 50%)

• I connect the new one on a pc with the clone station.

• With the software GetDataBck pro, I have recovered pictures, pdf, videoā€¦

I hope this message helps and sorry for my English I am French.

1 Like

same here :frowning:

Iā€™ve had the exact same issues and have been a solid WD customer for years and have purchased thousands of drives. With the SA510 problems, Iā€™ve switched exclusivly to Samsung. Unless WD admits the problems and lets us know when they are fixed, Iā€™ll never come back.

3 Likes

anyone reading this forums should serouisly question spending even 1 penny at WD. look at the lack of support here, there is no company support at all involved in this issue, i have already moved on, we returned all 200 drives to WD only with the help of our purchasing partners to make the refund happen. this was once a top 2-3 company for drives in my view, now its last.

2 Likes

We have discovered that we have an epidemic of drive failures all WD BLUE 2.5 inch 1tb and 500gb drives. They are dropping like flies; this is a real serious defect which they should issue a recall. Western Digital says they have not heard of the problem when we call them. When we RMA the drives, we just get back other drives which have died in our testing. This is a serious problem.

Yep. Theyā€™re neglecting to admit a common issue. I still have 3 dead ones on my desk that I havenā€™t even bothered setting up an RMA for. I know theyā€™ll just send me back the same junk.

1 Like

WD has an issue with the drives, Iā€™ve sold more than 3000 of their drives over the last 8ish years and the blue drives have always been bullet proof, until last year Iā€™d never returned a single drive. In the last month Iā€™ve returned more than 20, and 9 more are going out today.
The drives from September 22 to December 22 are dropping like flies.

Yeah - and they will keep sending you identical replacements that will likely suffer the same fateā€¦ They need to make a full model revision like SA511 to indicate theyā€™re newer and donā€™t have the same hardware issues.

Finally was able to get the HDDs to be recognized but when trying to use them in RAID 5 the dang thing does not get recognize again. Using a PERC H730P if I set them on RAID 0 they show up, if I set it to RAID 5 or any other one it does not get recognize. All drivers and firmware have been upgrade. It is really frustrating that WD has not provided any more information on this, I mean even if it is to say nope we are not going to fix it anymore sighā€¦

Iā€™ve worked a computer store for 18 years and have been installing hard drives for about 25 years. Iā€™ve sold and installed over 300 of the WD 3D nand ssd model with no returns. When my distributor forced me to go to the sa510 model I sold/installed 10 in a two month period. All 10 of those hard drive came back within a 3 month period (6 of those are sitting on my desk as a reminder). When the second one came back, that is when I quit selling them and sent the 13 unopened ones back to my distributor because WD wanted to send me the same ones again. I know when thereā€™s a problem with a certain model, and in all my 20+ years this is the highest failure rate by far. I no longer sell WD products in my store, I have since switched to Samsung SSD. They need to stop their shenanigans and do a recall for this model.

2 Likes

I am just a home userā€¦ bought a WD Blue SA510 1TB to use as a storage disk in my PC. Just over 3 months in and it died. Not recognized in BIOS or Windows Disk management. Come on WDā€¦ you guys used to have integrity and stand by your name. I have an SA510 500gb as my bootā€¦ Now I am seeing and hearing all these issues and am worried about that drive too. Is it time to stop using your products all together and move on or will you rebuild some confidence in your product and do the right thing? I am out a couple hundred bucks for your drivesā€¦ The guys above with THOUSANDS invested though? WTF? Maybe we need to consider a class action lawsuit?

1 Like

Having the same issues with all A510 drives.

Replaced all with Samsungs so far and had no issues since

3 Likes

If you canā€™t get OS to recognize the drive, how in the blue heck are you supposed to use the WD Dashbaord to load a firmware update?

1 Like

Mine is installed in a Mac. Is it possible to update the firmware on a Mac? These machines are glued together so I hope youā€™re not going to ask me to remove the drive and put it in a Windows machine to update the firmware?
Thanks for any assistance.

My sa510 500gb died.
Does not show on computer. Will not pull up in WD disk utility to update firmware.

This is a common issue with these drivesā€¦ I have been waiting over a MONTH for a simple RMA and still not even getting back with me. I will never buy another WD product again because of this. They know the issue is completely on them and they are basically telling people they do NOT care with their lack of effort to correct the problem. Itā€™s theft- plain and simple.

Low life ā– ā– ā– ā–  bags.

1 Like

WD really screwed up these drives - Iā€™ve been trying to RMA 34 of these - and my issue has been going on for 2.5 months and all I get from customer support is to call back in 24-48 hours. I even spent $120 on shipping to send them all back because they promised to replace them with working WD Reds and all they did was send me more SA510s. Now Iā€™ve been waiting for 3 weeks for shipping labels.
This is a WD Disaster.

2 Likes