WD_BLACK D10 Game fan not work

I bought this hard disk in January approximately and for almost two months the fan does not turn on, it feels very hot and the disk is making very loud reading noises.

what should I do ?

Read my post from here

1 Like

same issue here, in idle and 21-23 grd C room tem,p, drive stays in around 60C. What I have noticed that its internal fan starts automatically when the temp reached 63C, and stops at 59C. I have opened up a case at WD site, but they sad it is operating in normal temp! as long as it is <65C it is ok from their side apparently.
However, from my point of view, since the drive has active cooling, an option to control this fan would using an app would have been welcomed, and we-the customers-to have decision for additional cooling setpoint. Yes, although the small fan (4cm) is so noisy, I would have run it to keep much lower temps.
Since you are using it to a NAS, you could place the drive behind the NAS fan, to have some cooling. I did the same, it is a lot cooler

1 Like

While I just bought a WD D10 external Black 8TB drive, it also runs way out of specks. According to WD just published in April, 2023 external drives shouldn’t exceed 35C. I think that WD and Seagate are all lying to us as I have never had an external drive that ran that cool when doing transfers. But 60C is crazy. I’ve never had a drive run this hot. I set my PC to shutdown when the drive hit 58C, which it did surprising the H out me as I didn’t know what was happening at the time.
I think that if WD is going to say that the temperature range should be 0C-35C then perhaps they could prove it. Otherwise, they are selling known defective merchandise and a class-action lawsuit is in order.
Oh, and I love how they try to add a “conditional purchase” inside the package after you buy the product. This is illegal and non-enforceable and WD knows that.