WD 1TB Black benchmarking worse than 3TB Blue

Both drives were purchased at the exact same time and have been installed in the machine for the same amount of time. The Black is the system drive as I believed at the time that the 7200 RPM speed and overall higher quality (theoretically) made for a better choice for installing the OS and programs on. The Blue drive is for data storage - images, videos, music, backups.

Recently I’ve been having various strange behaviors in my PC, laggy opening of programs and such. Benchmarking the two drives in HD Tune gives me a better result on the Blue drive every time, with every testable stat being higher performing. I’ll let the screenshots speak for themselves:

1TB BLACK

Capture

3TB BLUE

Capture2-1

SMART data and error checking doesn’t give me any errors on the Black drive, so I’m not sure what the problem could be. Is the drive just dying? Both drives get defragmented religiously and always sit at 0% fragmentation and 0 fragmented files if I can help it. The Black drive is about 20% full at the moment and the Blue is approximately 45% full.

try to use Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows to test the drive health.

Already did it. SMART reports drive health as “Good” without any irregular readings, and a 2 hour long drive error check didn’t find anything either.