Very slow transfer speed - How to detect bottleneck?

I have a MBL 2 Tb, my laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium 64. Firmware up to date, etc…

The transfer speed via FTP is around 1,5 Mb/s (same using Windows standard file copy, but then it crashes very often -different problem I think-), which I think it is extremely slow, considering I need to copy over 1 Tb of data to the device. Making simple calculations, it will be 194 hours!

I have my MBL connected with an ethernet cable to my Wireless router, which is a Motorola Netopia 7347-44. According to their website, the speed is ‘10/100’.

My laptop is connected to the wireless router with wifi. The wireless network adapter is Realtek RTL8191SE. From what I’ve found online, the speed is “data rate up to 72.2M/144.4Mbps using 20MHz bandwidth, 150M/300Mbps using 40MHz bandwidth” (not sure what any of this means, not an expert). Drivers are up to date.

I know I don’t have any Gigabit devices, but still if the connection was the minimum of these values (72.2M), that still would be around 9 Mb/s, wouldn’t it?

Any recommendations about how to improve this transfer rate? How to detect which of the components is not working properly?

Try to connect your lapton directly to router via cable to fence possible wi-fi troubles…

1 Like

Hi,

Ok, thanks, that seriously improves the transfer speed, connecting the laptop by Ethernet cable to the router reaches around 12-15 Mb/s, by FTP.

Now the follow-up question, any idea how can I know if the problem with the wireless transfer is the router or my wifi controller? (assuming I don’t have access to a spare router/controller to test, of course). I don’t want to have my laptop tied by a cable…

Thanks again!

There should be an icon for wireless networking at the right side of the system tray; it shows what is available for your laptop. Rt click on for your router/network-id & select the status to find out what your connection speed is. Your info for the router shows that you don’t have the 150/300 mbps capability on the router BUT the laptop does. Your connection is probably a “g”, about 54 mbps theoretically. Don’t know if a gigabyte router (about $30) will improve the speed more via an “n” 300 mbps, theoretically. That’s what I have for my laptop connection & think that it is very slow with the MBL; while being “acceptable” with Netflix. Think it is time for me to not use the wireless for the laptop.

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, wireless speed is 54 Mbps. The router has 802.11b/g from what I’ve found. However that should be 6.8 Megabytes/second, right? Right now it is transferring at 1.2, much slower than it should. The laptop is right next to the router (for the test), so no problems with the transmissions, that’s for sure. 

Connecting the laptop with Ethernet cable gives me exactly 12 Megabytes/second, 100 Mbps then, without any losses to the theoretical maximum transfer rate.

Either there is something wrong with the router or with the wireless in the laptop. Fortunately the drive is ok, which was my concern when I opened this topic, I thought those small transfer rates where caused by it.

Have read that wireless don’t reach near the theoretical speeds. My “300 mps” connection gives me a slow UI respond from MBL when browsing the directory. Your laptop probably has a 1 ghz capability since it is able to do the “n” protocol; you do have a gigahertz device! Will do a wired connection from my laptop later tonight to see what improvements; didn’t need wired connection when using the internet since I have a theoretical 12 mbps connection from the modem which is slower than my lan. However, with MBL, speed counts!

May be you have parallel wi-fi sessions from other devices during your wi-fi tests?  In this case overall router bandwidth divided proportionally between connected devices…

In my case I have vaio book with b/g wi-fi diapason and can’t play even .mkv videos from MBL cause low bandwidth capabilities of wi-fi. So I decided to use book’s wi-fi only for inet and play all videos on my Sams TV directly from MBL via ethernet cables. In some cases - huge BD rips or BD iso files - connect book to TV via HDMI…

Or buy honest N-diapason router and external wi-fi adapter for book ))))))

1 Like

@anotherpaul

Have read that wireless don’t reach near the theoretical speeds. My “300 mps” connection gives me a slow UI respond from MBL when browsing the directory. Your laptop probably has a 1 ghz capability since it is able to do the “n” protocol; you do have a gigahertz device! Will do a wired connection from my laptop later tonight to see what improvements; didn’t need wired connection when using the internet since I have a theoretical 12 mbps connection from the modem which is slower than my lan. However, with MBL, speed counts!

How much speed do you get transferring files with wireless, with your 300 Mbps connection? If you use Windows, you can see the transfer rate when copying a file.

@Sergious

May be you have parallel wi-fi sessions from other devices during your wi-fi tests?  In this case overall router bandwidth divided proportionally between connected devices…

I didn’t know that, but could be possible. I have my phone and the XBOX connected to wifi as well, I’ll try to disconnect them and see if the speed improves.

For the moment I think I will keep an Ethernet cable for large transfers, and consider buying a new WLAN Router 802.11n, which seems to be my bottleneck.

300 Mbps routers are inexpensive, anyone else has one? could you tell me which transfer rate could I expect with one of them?

Here is a link to some great information…maybe more than you might care to know about the subject. But it is organized very well.  http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar. I just ordered a Cisco ES3200.

I have seen as high as 850Mbps from the MBL on the gigabit LAN (measured using “iperf” and ethernet transfer rate measurement tool) . Using my 802.11g (54Mbps wireless) I cannot get better than 10Mbps from and 20Mbps to the router using any of my wireless devices…far from the theoretical 54Mbps.

There is no reason you should not be seeing about 95Mbps wireless transfer to/from the MBL. This rate would be limited by the fast ethernet (100Mbps) from the wireless router and not the wireless connection. You are not seeing anywhere near that value unless you use a wired connection. Clearly there is something not right with the wireless connection.

It sounds to me like you are connected as 802.11g (54Mbps) instead of 802.11n. I am not sure of your environment, but 40MHz bandwidth would get you the highest datarate. Can you try an verify how you are connected?? Log into the router and let it tell you how it has you connected. Report back what you find!!

You will do well to run wired for fast data transfer until you figure out your wireless issues. The ES3200 has two features which could help if you decide to upgrade…1) gigabit Ethernet ports. This will allow the maximum data rate from 802.11n wireless to the MBL. 2) The aggregate data rate of all the wireless devices is very high at nearly 600Mbps. What this means is that your wireless devices can each nearly max out and not be bottle necked by the router pouring data onto your LAN. It does not mean your Internet connection (WAN) will be any faster. It is limited to typically 2-4Mbps upload and maybe 20Mbps download.

Ron <><

Well, did you have any solution?

Connecting the laptop with Ethernet cable instead of wireless increases the speed, it’s constant 12 Mb/s (i.e. 100 Mbps). So whenever I need to transfer large files, I plug in the ethernet cable.

Wireless transmission is still 2-3 Mb/s (~20Mbps), when the router connection is 802.11n at 150Mbps. I guess there are a lot of interferences in my apartment somehow, even though router and laptop are only 1 meter apart.

I bought a Gigabit WRT310Nv2 Gigabit switch / N router, Now my average speed is 11Mb/s intead of 1.1Mb/s.

I’m still looking for a 40Mb/s solution because all my net resources are gigabit capable.

This way you wont need to be plugging/unplugging.

Thans for answering.

maumarenco wrote:

I bought a Gigabit WRT310Nv2 Gigabit switch / N router, Now my average speed is 11Mb/s intead of 1.1Mb/s.

I’m still looking for a 40Mb/s solution because all my net resources are gigabit capable.

This way you wont need to be plugging/unplugging.

Thans for answering.

• *Not possible with wireless.

I too have a MBL 2TB and I have a Linksys E4200 Gigabit router + switch 

The transfer speed is around 30-40MB/s, depending on whether it’s a single file or multiple files.

However, if I’m downloading files with my BT client running, the speed could drop tremendously to as low as 3MB/s, the more tasks the lower the speed.

I guess if you’d like to experience the highest possible speed MBL has to offer, the only way is to plug it to anther gigabit ethernet card.