Using MyCloud on Xbox One and Playstation 3

Hello

I’m looking to purchase one of the My Cloud storage devices and I think I’ve finally come up with a reason good enough to purchase when I looked at my DVD and BluRay movie collection today.  My question is, from what I understand, you can have it sink with the Media Server features on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, can anyone share their experience on how well it works, and also if it will work on an Xbox One as well?

Thanks!

Can’t say for PS3 and Xbone, but the media server works on 360. It’s quite basic, but allows for playback.

Well good question i was thinking of buying one these.

As Twonky is the DLNA media server in my cloud i search in twonky forums for "PS4"and the first result is:

Playstation 4 Will Not Support Media Services or DLNA Functionality

I stumbled across this just today
If true, I think its a stupid move for Sony

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2013/10/ps4-will-not-support-media-dlna-services

It looks like the Xbox One does support dlna

Xbox One can play CDs and is DLNA compatible
http://www.neowin.net/news/xbox-one-can-play-cds-and-is-dlna-compatible

I don’t know if there is anithing new about but you know google is your friend or dgg.gg or…

You can stream to Xbox One by downloading Skifta from Play Store and installing it on your Android phone or tablet.  Skifta acts as a DLNA “in-between” between your media player and the Xbox One.  Once Skifta has scanned and detected your media player (Twonky), you select it and then select the device you want to stream to (Xbox One).  It then brings up your library, you select the movie, and bingo, Xbox One starts playing it through its own built-in video player.  It works fine.  Some time next year Microsoft will have an update to enable the Xbox One to stream direct from your media server using DLNA.

sammarbella wrote:

Well good question i was thinking of buying one these.

As Twonky is the DLNA media server in my cloud i search in twonky forums for "PS4"and the first result is:

I stumbled across this just today
If true, I think its a stupid move for Sony

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2013/10/ps4-will-not-support-media-dlna-services

It looks like the Xbox One does support dlna

Xbox One can play CDs and is DLNA compatible
http://www.neowin.net/news/xbox-one-can-play-cds-and-is-dlna-compatible

I don’t know if there is anithing new about but you know google is your friend or dgg.gg or…

The PS4 also cannot play audio CD’s.  I am confident they will add Functionality to the PS4 to support DLNA. I think they rushed the PS4 and that is why it was ommitted so far.

As far as the PS3 is concerned both this mycloud nas and my prior WD NAS work well with the PS3 and copying to the PS3 from the mycloud is really quick, at least compared to the so slow it would disconnect My Book World Edition i need to sell on eBay.  Funny thing was that My Book World Edition was the fastest NAS at the time where you can not replace the drive.

Im a bit confused. Just bought the mycloud. Connected to the router. I see my media I stream on my mac - when turned on - via Rivet…but I added just a photo on the mycloud to see where I can get access to it on the 360…the Rivet pops up instantly on 360…mycloud is nowhere to be found…help

You can use WD MyCloud with Xbox One for movies, but you also need a third party app to make them work together.

On the WD MyCloud you need to enable Twonky Server and set it up for sharing your movies in folders.

On Xbox one you need just the plain video app from store (free).

Finally you need a dlna sever app, for your tablet or smart phone. I use ArkMC DLNA UPnP media streaming server and video player on IPad and IPhone, there is a free version to try, but lock out most of your media, paid is $4.99, but well worth it until, WD makes an app for Xbox One

My movies are Mp4 format 720p

Works Great

I have been using both my android smartphone and my PS3 for streaming both movies and tv programes without much of a hiccough. Having said that the PS3 won’t read MKV formatted files like it will do from a flash drive (not sure as to why exactly) but you can easily convert to an avi file format as I have done.

2 slight niggles. I had some minor issues with the DNLA libraruy creating duplicate entries which I have now got sorted and I’m unable to delete or move files using the PS3 as I could with a flash drive, I’m working on this. If either of these inteerest you I have opened threads on this board to discuss this.

That being said I’m very happy with this capability, it was the prime reason I bought my system and it works really well plus the added capability of being a cloud means that as I said I can stream music and movies to my phone and tablet while I travel abroad so I’m not lugging dvds with me and I have a far wider choice of what I watch whilst I am away (I have my whole library to chose from). I would recommed it, as a basic NAS system (I can’r comment any further as I am a basic NAS user and it may not do more complex function that I am neither aware of or interested in!)

I just started looking to solve a few problem I have streaming to my PS3 with my WD My Cloud.

1. How did you get rid of double entrie?

2. Do you have some files that are visible to browsing with a PC or android file manager but are invisible to the PS3? I can see the directory and some of the content but about half of recently added media files do not appear on the PS3… The mais status screen states that the content scan in Idle so I asume it should be ready to stream…

Thanks in advance

jett01000010 wrote:

I just started looking to solve a few problem I have streaming to my PS3 with my WD My Cloud.

1. How did you get rid of double entrie?
  1. Do you have some files that are visible to browsing with a PC or android file manager but are invisible to the PS3? I can see the directory and some of the content but about half of recently added media files do not appear on the PS3… The mais status screen states that the content scan in Idle so I asume it should be ready to stream…

Thanks in advance

Hi Jett,

you can find the solution here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Multiple-copies-of-files-showing-on-PS3-and-other-small-niggles/m-p/751960#M16182

Once I did this it all worked fine. I could still see the mkv files but I couldn’t actually watch them, the PS3 spat them out with an error. I also had to do this again on Sunday as my system rest on Saturday night for some reason (guessing WD pushed some new software, but I’m not sure) and again I had multiple entries, but the fix continues to work.

hi

anyone know of ps4 can connect to wdmycloud now? thanks

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this seems like an appropriate place for my question.

Does anyone know if it is possible for the PS3 or Xbox to remotely connect to a My Cloud for media streaming? By “remotely”, I’m talking about a friend or family member living in a different location, using their Xbox or PS3 and connecting to a My Cloud via the internet.

My initial thought is that this isn’t possible, but maybe it is or maybe someone has some thoughts on how to make such a scenario work.

Any thoughts?