Using a My Cloud - Can I map/mount to Mycloud with Windows and Unix

I’m looking to purchase a WD My Cloud Mirror 4TB 2-bay Personal Cloud Storage 4 or 8 TB device. As far as I can tell the device is accessible from a browser (HTTP) and from an APP (I assume PC/MAC and Smartdevice).

I would like to know

From a windows platform (XP / 7 / 8 /2003 Server)  can I map a drive to the My Cloud and copy files to that system

From a UNIX (Ubuntu / RED Hat/ BSD / Solaris) can I mount to the Mycloud and copy/tar files to it.

Is it difficult? Does it requires special software or is it built in (SAMBA CIFS Shares) . . .   Any and all information is appreciated.

SMB/CIFS is the normal access, the browser & APP are mainly for remote access

It also has NFS although I have not used it myself

so no issues with this

If you’re looking to buy, it’s probably woth having a good read of the user manual, easily found as the first google hit for ‘MyCloud mirror user manual’:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfMyCloud_Mirror

The ‘getting started’ section discusses mapping the drive into Windows.

It’s worth reading the entire manual, as the introductory sections are very keen on getting you to install a load of largely unnecessary WD apps (at least the plain MyCloud is).  Go a bit further, and you’ll find that you can do most control of the device via the Dashboard, and the MyCloud app is only really needed for remote ‘cloud’ access.

From a windows platform (XP / 7 / 8 /2003 Server)  can I map a drive to the My Cloud and copy files to that system

yes, very easily

From a UNIX (Ubuntu / RED Hat/ BSD / Solaris) can I mount to the Mycloud and copy/tar files to it.

Yes; additionally Ubuntu backup will recognize the device and backs up nicely to it

As pointed out you don’t need most of the WD suggested software

Be aware the Dashboard time is not the same as My CLoud’s internal time - this resulted in a 3 hour time delta my time is EDT and the internal My CLoud time is PDT. I suppose that if you’re willing to negate the warranty you cah use ssh and adjust the Debian Kernel’s time to matcgh your own.

DomDis wrote:

I’m looking to purchase a WD My Cloud Mirror 4TB 2-bay Personal Cloud Storage 4 or 8 TB device. As far as I can tell the device is accessible from a browser (HTTP) and from an APP (I assume PC/MAC and Smartdevice).

I would like to know

Is it difficult? Does it requires special software or is it built in (SAMBA CIFS Shares) . . .   Any and all information is appreciated.

It is accessible from http for configuration and apps and remote access. You might not need the apps as they don’t add anything IMHO.

All shares will be mounted on Windows (barring any problems).

Works fine on all Unixes that support Samba clients and or NTFS.

I use it with FreeBSD with a ZFS Mirror backup (and XFCE4 Desktop), file manager see them fine (no configurations needed). TAR, Rsync, Pax, cp etc all work fine.

You can use NTFS but only for Public shares, since there no authentication with NTFS (Possible if you know how to configure Kerberos or others to authenticate both sides. I never did it, life is too short :slight_smile: ) ,You cannot access shares with Password.

You can use smbclient to mount all shares (with authentication) if using command line.

On Unixes and clones make sure you are using Samba 4 or later.

I was reading through the manual and it seems that I can map a dribe in windows to the my cloud but only if the share is public

When mapping drives It does not have any provsions for user nane and password authentication

Did I understand this correctly ?

***I am not sure if I understood correct. Just curious why you want to do that? Are you planning on working from the cloud?

I can mount shares with username and passwords, you have to use smbclient to authenticate them. I used them with FreeBSD but not  with Windows ( Never tried, could be the same)***

OK, I got it wrong :slight_smile:

the only windows restriction is you need to connect to a private share before public as you can only connect as 1 user at a time so if you need to connect to 3 shares the same user needs permission to all three. If you connect to a public share 1st you become the public user and can’t access anything private

Perhaps I should be looking at a different device  something that will do SMB and CIFS sharing no cloud

I know Buffalo made a device for that - anyone know what the WD equivalent is

But it does have SMB and CIFS (Full blown Samba server) as we explained.

The device  has samba and ntfs server.

You create shares in the dashboard of the device.

Each share can be assigned permisions (username and password) or made public

Windows/Unixes  wil see all these shares (see restrictions applied by Windows as explained in previous post.)

After that whenever you want to access a share on the device and if it has permissions the guest OS (Windows, Linux, etc) will need username and password.

Isn’t this what you meant?

1 Like

jamalaya wrote:

But it does have SMB and CIFS (Full blown Samba server) as we explained.

The device  has samba and ntfs server.

You create shares in the dashboard of the device.

Each share can be assigned permisions (username and password) or made public

Windows/Unixes  wil see all these shares (see restrictions applied by Windows as explained in previous post.)

After that whenever you want to access a share on the device and if it has permissions the guest OS (Windows, Linux, etc) will need username and password.

Isn’t this what you meant?

Yes that is what I meant. I got thrown with the

larryg0 wrote:

the only windows restriction is you need to connect to a private share before public as you can only connect as 1 user at a time so if you need to connect to 3 shares the same user needs permission to all three. If you connect to a public share 1st you become the public user and can’t access anything private

But yeah that makes sense once you authenticate you have to have permissions to access other areas. I don’t allow public access on my current NAS so accessing via public confused me.

I can map via \{IPAddr}{share name}  correct ?

Yes you can do that.

DomDis wrote:

Perhaps I should be looking at a different device  something that will do SMB and CIFS sharing no cloud

I know Buffalo made a device for that - anyone know what the WD equivalent is

Note that I have completely DISABLED cloud access below!

I have a WD My Cloud and found that it easily can be accessed using Ubuntu. Here are the steps I used when installing mine which was purchased for a single point backup for household:

• installed 10/100/1000 switch to connect computers and My Cloud directly
  • disabled UPnP on my router
  • upgraded My Cloud firmware (I think this is actually a Debian kernel)
  • ignored all WD suggestions for installing their software
  • used Firefox on Ubuntu to access and configure my device probably 192.168.1.XX where XX is your router supplied ip
  • disabled cloud access
  • set up my userid password
  • rebooted my device
  • used nautilus to find my device (I named my kincaidpeters)
  • created nautilus bookmarks to shares found
  • tested drag and drop method to copy / move files
  • set up ubuntu backup to target kincaidpeters
  • setup Mac Book Pro Timemachine to use kincaidpeters as backup device
  • installed and configured WD Smartware on Windows 7 and tested

I found little functionality offered in WD’s suggested software for Windows; however I did finally install some of it to actually discover how I really didn’t need it!

Be aware that the time set in Dashboard is NOT reflected in the device’s kernel. In my case the local time is EDT and the notifications are stamped in PDT