USB HUB on My Cloud Ultra EX2?

Hello Forum,

I bought a My Cloud Ultra EX2 recently and wanted to use my ‘My Books’ with a USB HUB like I used them before on a single-bay My Cloud. But whatever combination I try, the EX2 is unable to recognize any drive when connected with an USB HUB.

I tried 2 different active USB 3.0 HUBS with no luck.

According to the manual EX2 should support USB drives over an USB HUB. That was one of the main reasons my buying decision fell in favour for the EX2. :frowning:

Any recommendations for a HUB working with the EX2 (latest firmware)?

Hi Timbu,

You should contact WD Support for such an issue. To contact WD support, you can refer to the links mentioned below.

Phone:
https://support.wdc.com/contact_phone.aspx?h=4

Email:
https://westerndigital.secure.force.com/ind/?lang=en

Thanks for your input. :slight_smile:

Well, I wish I got a reply on my inquiry. But nothing so far. :frowning:

So I was hoping for someone here on the forums to report about an USB HUB actually working with the EX2 Ultra. :thinking:

UPDATE:
I found an old Belkin USB 2.0 active hub lying around.
With this hub the EX2 recognizes external drives connected over the hub.
Right now I have 6 My Passports connected via this hub, all seem to work alright.
(However, transfer rates are quite slow because of the USB 2.0 limitation.)

So I wonder if the Ex2 may have a problem with USB 3.0 hubs?

Okay, more by accident I found this:
I bought two more USB 3 hubs in the meantime. They do not work with the EX2 Ultra as well. :frowning:
However, out of curiosity I plugged one of the USB 3.0 hubs to the old USB 2.0 hub and that one to the EX2. And guess what? Any drive that is connected to the USB 3.0 hub (over the 2.0 hub) gets recognized by the EX2 now. :open_mouth:

Of course this is not satisfying as the 2.0 hub is a bottleneck for transfer speed.

But what on earth is going on here? Why can’t the EX2 communicate with any USB 3.0 hub directly but works with them when there is this old USB 2.0 chip/hub between them???

Does anyone here have an USB 3.0 hub directly working on the EX2???