USB hub? can the WD TV LIve SMP support a USB hub? need more than 2 drives

I think you are right!  I plugged my Seagate 4TB into the front USB port and it worked.  I will test it for a few days to see if it gets disconnected or have any other issue.  However, I also a two WD Passport SE 1TB drives and both of these worked on the rear (and front) USB port.  So, it seems the WD TV Live have some compatibiltiy issues with other HDD (ie. Seagate).

If I can’t use my Seagate with the rear USB, then I will be returning the WD TV Live, because it just looks ugly having my cable coming out of the front.  The front USB should be used on occasion for quick thumbdrive or a friend brings over their HDD for temporary use.  For permanent connection, I need to be able to plug into the rear USB.

I was also considering to buy the PH A-300, but decided to try the WD first since it’s cheaper and smaller.  I have read numerous forum on the WD rear USB issue, and it seems there is no fix for it at this time.  I will be returning the WD and likely pick up the Popbox V8 instead, since is about $100 cheaper.  I hear the V8 performance is almost the same as A-300, except you can’t add an internal HD (which is fine for me).