USB Hub Capability on New WDTV Live?

Just wondering if there is USB Hub capability… I have filled both my 2TB’s and I was going to buy another, but if there is no usb hub capability then there would be no point to buy one… Any way around this issue?

It has been posted from someone else here that they’ve tried it with a hub and 3 or 4 drives and it works.

I hope that’s right, and that it remains that way, as I’ve just ordered a hub and a new WDTV.

I have 5 2tb drives, I’ll let you know how I get on.

Steve W

I am also interested in knowing how well that works out. I’m curious, what types of USB hard drives are you using? I took my WD green drive (WD20EARS) out of my computer and connected it to the WDTV using a USB to SATA adapter but I find the HD head parks in the middle of watching a movie or when moving data over the network. I have to unplug the drive and plug it back in. VERY annoying. I’m thinking my drive is defective and will see if I can get it replaced under warranty. In the future I’m thinking of buying a WD Elements. I think the WDTV will not support the 3TB version right?

I used a POWERED HUB (a cheap little thing I bought at Frys – $20 or so) and attached four WD drives to it.

I think the Hub was UNDERPOWERED to run four drives, but they all DID function;  just the fourth drive was VERY slow and made all kinds of parking sounds.

My drives were:

Qty 2 Passport Essential

Qty 1 Elements Portable USB 2.0

Qty 1 Elements Portable USB 3.0

I use WD Essential 2.0tb.

The WDs used to stick at 2.0tb, but now go higher.

I recently contacted WD about their My Book Studioo 6tb to see if that works.  They’re still testing, but so far it appears to be working fine.

Steve W

So looks like they did incorporate USB hub capability, but it isn’t very fast and overpowers the player. If anyone else can test this that would be great but for now I think I will go buy the player!
Also Paul I currently have a 2tb my book and 2tb elements both work perfect, but I was also looking to get the 3tb elements so I’m curious to see if that would work on the player as well.

Did some more research and it seems the Live Plus and the Live Hub got a firmware update to support drives larger than 3TB ( http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5875). Logically, the new WD Live should support 3TB drives. Can’t be sure until someone actually tries it.

RiccaRic, a little news.

I contacted WD support about a month ago to ask about using a My Book 6tb drive withmy WDTV Live (last generation).

After some pretty extensive testing they’ve told me there are no issues using this large drive with either the previous WDTV or the new one.

With two USB ports that gives you up to 12tb without using a hub.

Steve W

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I used a POWERED HUB (a cheap little thing I bought at Frys – $20 or so) and attached four WD drives to it.

I think the Hub was UNDERPOWERED to run four drives, but they all DID function;  just the fourth drive was VERY slow and made all kinds of parking sounds.

My drives were:

Qty 2 Passport Essential

Qty 1 Elements Portable USB 2.0

Qty 1 Elements Portable USB 3.0

Tony I read this when you posted it, but having just re-read it I think I misunderstood the first time.

I note all of your HDDs are portable jobs, and subsequently don’t have their own power supplies, but instead draw their power through the hub.  That being the case I’m asuming you meant the hub was ‘underpowered’ in that it struggled to provide enough power to actually spin all 4 portables.

Hopefully that won’t be an issue with HDDs with their own power supplies.

Steve W

Pecker wrote:

… That being the case I’m asuming you meant the hub was ‘underpowered’ in that it struggled to provide enough power to actually spin all 4 portables.

That’s right, though the specs say the USB Hub supported 2.5 A of power, and each drive can use a MAX of 500 mA (and according to WD uses far less than that…), so there should be ample power.   

But it was just a test, really…  I have no intention of doing that full time… :slight_smile:

Cheers mate.

If you have any desktop USB HDDs (with their own power supply) give 'em a go and let us know how you get on.

I’m interested to see if it’s the number of drives which potentially causes a problem, or the amount of data.  Would I be better off with a small number of large drives or a large number of small drives.

Many thanks.

Steve W