Upgrade from MyCloud 2TB to PR2100 - Data Migration?

Hi all,

I have tried searching for the answer to this online and on this forum, but haven’t found a solution yet.

I recently began to run out of room on my MyCloud 2TB Gen 2. To upgrade, I purchased a MyCloud Pro PR2100 and one 4TB Red Drive (NASware 3.0).

What I’m trying to do is copy/migrate the data from the 2TB drive to the new 4TB drive. Originally, I read on here that WD Mycloud devices support RAID roaming, but after populating the 2TB drive into the PR2100, this doesn’t seems to work on the older/single bay MyCloud models.

As of now, I’m using windows file explorer to copy/paste, which is working… albeit very slowly (about 5.5 MB/S which by my math should take ~4.2 days to complete for all 2TB).

Is there a better way to move data once you upgrade to a new WD NAS? I have looked into SSH, and although I’m a little familiar with linux from tinkering with a Raspberry Pi, I’m not confident I know the syntax of the directory names on the WD machines to get it right.

Any help is appreciated!

Lol, I don’t even want to think about how long it would take my machine to copy/past 32TB…

I had a feeling this would be the answer before I posted, but it’s always nice to confirm with someone more knowledgeable.

I’ll look into TeraCopy to make sure I’m not waking up to same random error pausing the transfer.

Thanks for the help!

As you know what a raspberry pi is: setup the wd red 4TB disk and create a share (or use the public one).
Setup SSH
List block devices, e.g. the disks

lsblk

Let’s say the new 4TB disk is at /dev/sdb and the old 2TB disk is at /dev/sdc,
I think the data is on the 2nd partition, adjust if necessary.

mkdir /mnt/old
mount /dev/sdc2 /mnt/old

Show data on old disk

ls /mnt/old

If it’s not the correct partition, unmount and mount another partition. e.g. the first one

umount /mnt/old
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/old

Now let’s assume you found the partition and your data is mounted at /mnt/old.
Copy everything (with nohup to run in the background).

nohup rsync -a --progress /mnt/old/ /shares/Public/old &
1 Like