Upgrade corrupted the disk

Hi,

I tried to upgrade my WD Live Hub to 3.12.13 with pendrive (fat32). After the reboot, upgrade process did not continue and halt at 1% for too long time. I have no other option and removed the pendrive and reboot the device. Still the issue continued.

When I connect the drive (unplugged from WD Live Hub) to my laptop, I could see 2 drives one is WDTVPriv and WDTVLiveHub. All my data can be seen in WDTVLiveHub drive and some files with foldernames found.xxx can be seen in WDTVPriv drive.

I thought the version got copied into WDTVPriv has a problem and So I copied the downloaded files of version 3.12.13 (wdlivehub.bin, wdlivehub.fff, wdlivehub.ver,wdlivehub.bi2) to WDTVPriv and connect to disk back to WDTVLiveHub player but still did not work for me. I have same direct version files (3.12.13) in pendrive also and inserted to USB to upgrade it (I changed to wdlivehub.ver to higher number to detect the upgrade) but still it shows 0% only while upgrading and not continued further.

Please help me in resolving the issue.

I searched in the internet and tried the below suggestion but did not help for me:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/Re-Activate-Hub-Scraper-after-Rollback-GUIDE/td-p/385687

I can see my data in the disk from my laptop but do NOT able to see it through WDLiveHub because it is struct at upgrade process :frowning:

Thanks,

Vijay K

Download FW again and put it (alone) on another USB flash drive. Power down Hub (take power cord out), plug USB and power it on. This should jump start your FW upgrade.

Thanks for your response. When I switch ON the screen shows me insert the USB multiple languages. I copied the latest FM in flash drive and inserted then it moved on to upgrade screen but not going further in process always shows as 0% for long time.

Also another point it did not copy the instable files to HDD from USB.

Insert USB before powering up

I am facing the same issue, I copied the latest verion in PEN drive and inserted before powen on live hub. Still seeing same issue, which is progress state 1% for too long time.

Please help.

trouble upgrading firmware can be solved simply by trying a different pendrive

have you tried that ?  also have you tried the front and back usb ports on the Live Hub

also, i would’nt go removing the internal hdd from the Live Hub … that will not solve your issue

if you go messing around with that and hidden partitions … who knows, you could stuff things up even worse … and maybe lose your data

Thanks for the response.

I have tried with different PEN drives, also tried with front and back USB ports.

When I got into this issue, I was under the impression that harddrive got corrupted. So I removed it from live hub and put it to laptop to see the content.

May be as you said, the partition information got messed up because of which the issue is not getting resolved.

There is no progress in upgrade process, and same status was displayed for hours and hours which is shown in the above image.

Is there any way to reset the harddrive or reset the BOOT information to original?

Also, I have edited the .ver file on drive to lesser number/version than the one which is in PEN drive.

I would like to try all possibilites before I throw my live hub :frowning:

I do not know anybody who can help me to resolve the issue. Please help me.

You loose ALL data

Connect to PC again

Use MS Disk Manager to remove ALL partitions

DO NOT make any new ones or format it

Put it back in the Hub

Use the Hub’s Disk manager/disk maintenance (can’t remember what WD calls it) to set up the hard drive if it doesn’t send you right to it at boot

If the hub is functioning as normal it will create the partitions it needs and format it and put the data it needs there. I know it works as I have done this on the Hub I used to have.

I agree with flhthemi's suggestion …  backup your data 1st though

Disk Manager is located …

Setup > System > Disk Manager > Ok > Format

if it dosent fix it please don’t trash your Live Hub … i’m after a case to put my Raspberry Pi 2 + HDD in

Contact me via PM  and so we talk cost + postage :smiley:

Thanks a lot  flhthemi.

I followed the same steps which you mentioned in detail in the below link:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/Formatting-the-hard-drive/td-p/598337

I am done till step 8 and struck at Step 9) _ Connect the Hub in the usual way to your system and network and fire it up. It will eventually ask to be formatted at boot. _

Could you please let me know how to connect my live hub to system and to get recognized by computer/laptop.

I tried connecting with ethernet cable to wifi router but no message popped up asking me for formatting the hub’s drive.

Also, I tried connecting live hub to laptop with ethernet cable and still no message popped up asking me for formatting the hub’s drive.

I disable firewall settings too. Do I need to change any other network settings in laptop?

Also, when should I use pendrive (which has WD firmware) to install the software on live hub?

Please help me.

Step 9 has nothing to do with Networking  (you can’t format the live hub’s hdd via network)

Step 9 means … connect it to your TV and power the Live Hub “ON” … then it should prompt you to format (message on your TV)

if it doesnt prompt you with a message then …

A.  Manually format it … Setup > System > Disk Manager > Ok > Format

B. if you can’t do that … then it’s probably screwed   (try another 2.5" hdd if you have one)

I put a pen drive and connected to TV and switched it ON. I can only see upgrade process screen which I mentioned in previous reply.

If i remove pen drive and start live hub then i can see “insert pen drive …” Message in multiple languages. I cannot see menu options to go into setup-> system and so on. to format the drive manually.

well this is a post in the Live Plus forum … but, is this the Screen you’re seeing ?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Live-Plus/connect-a-usb-with-the-firm-to-recover/td-p/592589

if so … then the Live Hub is in “Recovery Mode”

i guess you can do what Tony says (eg. wait the 5 mins with the firmware stick in)

but in all honesty … i’ve never had this issue with my 5 Year Old Live Hub

best of luck

Yes, the screen is struck at 0% and no further progess. Do I need to download specific FW version to make partitions on live hub’s drive or latest version also can do partition if not already on drive.
Thanks a lot for you all for your quick response.

VIJAY_K wrote:
Yes, the screen is struck at 0% and no further progess. Do I need to download specific FW version to make partitions on live hub’s drive or latest version also can do partition if not already on drive.
Thanks a lot for you all for your quick response.

No. Any FW you download from WD’s site for the Hub should install IF you have copied the FW to the pen drive in the proper manner. I’m guessing this might be your problem. Maybe you have not followed the instructions for placing the FW onto the pen drive exactly as instructed or the pen drive is not compatable or is not formatted FAT32.

I would start over again with the FW. Don’t worry about the internal hard drive, just put it back in the Hub with no partitions on it. Download the SAME version you are trying to install now from WD (fresh copy). Put it on a different USB pen drive, make SURE you do exactly as instructions specify. Make sure you FRESH format the pen drive to FAT32 (on your PC) to remove any/all data that may be on it that you might not be able to see. Then try it on the Hub and see if it will finish the update. Let it stay on that screen for at least 15 minutes, maybe a little more. It should work.

I’m pretty sure, not positive, the FW will install even if there is NO hard drive inside the Hub. So if the hard drive IS installed in the Hub, but now has NO partitions or data on it and IF the pen drive is setup properly with the FW, it should install the FW and most likely, right after FW completes, it will setup the hard drive.

^^^^^^ If this is wrong someone say so!

I followed below steps:

1. Formatted PEN drive (NOT quick format) on Windows 7 with default block of 4K bytes and FAT32 (default).
  2. Already downloaded FW version 3.07.14 extracted to root (top level) of the USB drive.
  3. Inserted the USB to front/back port on live hub.
  4. Power ON the unit and in few secs could see below screen. There after no progress even after waited for more than 9 hours.

I believe there is no new version available than the one i am using. As first version of live hub are obsolete.
Also, Not able to find the exact location to download the latest FW to fit for my first version live hub player.
Just a thought, if the boot software installs other than hard drive then is that location has problem in my case? Because of which it could not able to install the FW software.

Just to avoid any problems THIS is the proper fw for a Hub. 

I have also read that a 4gb usb pen drive worked when a larger 8gb wouldn’t. Also saw that fw will install with no internal drive present. HERE I would assume it gets installed into a ROM. REAR USB port seems to be 1st choice. 

I can’t find the thread but I know I read someone had a USB hard drive they put the fw on and flashed from it when it was stuck at 0%.