Under Version 1.3.0.16 my network connections to Win 7 PCs don't work

It took me weeks of network name changes to WORKGROUP and back to the one we use, to get the Live unit connected under the older firmware.  Now that I updated to Version 1.3.0.16, I can see all the PCs IF the Live unit has my real network only, and then it can’t get to the Win 7 PCs it sees.  Help, please.

We use a real four character network name.  When the Live box has its network name as WORKGROUP now, it does not even see anything but a USB drive I have plugged in.

You say you can see the PCs when the Live has your network name – you mean the workgroup name?  And you see them but when you select them nothing happens?

First things first – anytime you update the firmware you have to reset the Live.  So do that (use the setting menu to reset things).  Then you’ll have to re-enter everything again (setup the workgroup name, choose the network, etc.).  THEN see if you can see your shares (if not, take the password off those Win 7 shares if you have them, and make sure that “Everyone” is added to them).

None of the PCs use the network name WORKGROUP, and under this firmware, if I leave the Live box with that name, it does not see any PC, it only sees a USB drive it has plugged into it.  When I use our network name, NOT WORKGROUP, but  for example 1234, then it see all of the network, and the Live box tells me “the network share cannot be accessed” when I try to access that PC.  It does this for all the Win 7 PCs we have (4).  It sees the 2 Vista PCs we have just fine.

So what should I do here?  I can’t run my PC with a network name of WORKGROUP, then I cannot log-in to our router.

Hmmm.   That’s odd.   I set ALL my computers and WDTVs to WORKGROUP.

The only things I *don’t* set to that name are my Linksys E3000 routers, which insist on advertising themselves as servers even though I’ve configured them NOT to be.   :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’m with you, Tony – my network is all “WORKGROUP” and things are just fine (it’s a PITA to have to set it to that, but it’s no worse than leaving it as MSHOME, which is what everything defaults to in the Win world).

You could at least try setting one of the Win 7 machines to WORKGROUP and see if the Live will see it.

AZ-JM wrote:

It took me weeks of network name changes to WORKGROUP and back to the one we use, to get the Live unit connected under the older firmware.  Now that I updated to Version 1.3.0.16, I can see all the PCs IF the Live unit has my real network only, and then it can’t get to the Win 7 PCs it sees.  Help, please.

We use a real four character network name.  When the Live box has its network name as WORKGROUP now, it does not even see anything but a USB drive I have plugged in.

Just out of interest what is Version 1.3.0.16?

What firmware are you running on your WDTV Live?

My oops, this is Beta v1.03.22.  I am a noobie.