Unable to play the selected file. Please see the User Manual for a list of supported file formats

“Unable to play the selected file. Please see the User Manual for a list of supported file formats.”

Been getting this message a lot on a WDTV unit i bought for my mom a couple of weeks ago. Files are definitely supported since i have been using them on WDTV Live unit which i have…

And the weird thing is restarting the unit i gave my mom solves this problem. My question is, is the unit i bought defective or do other users experience the same problem? I tried turning the unit on and off several times and i get the same problem 3 out of 10 times.

Please help

It’s a bug though I’m still not sure how to reproduce it every time.

Well, if its just a big or a firmware/software problem, i hope WD fixes it soon, otherwise i wont hear the end of it from my mom, lol. She aint too much of a techie and she’s been complaining every other day that the player doesnt work… Been telling her to just restart the unit until it does.

Wanted to buy a WDTV Live for my mom and my sister cause ive tried and tested it and been having no problems with it. But the store i buy my stuff from only had WDTV in stock… Havent heard from my sister yet if she has been getting the same problem.

WD, fix this please

What happens if you disconnect it from power and when turning it on have your TV tuned to it so you sit through the whole lengthy boot process? The first time I saw this error, I had booted up while being tuned to the TV’s internal SAT receiver and when I disconnect from power and booted while being set to the WDTV, it worked.

It happens while im booting while tuned in to the WDTV. When i noticed the problem i tried switching cables and everything but the problem still happens every now and then. I did some experimentations and restarted the WDTV multiple times. the problem occurs around 3 times in 10 tries (which **bleep** in my opinion)…

I googled the problem and read about people having similar problems. But i still wanted to ask here since is seems to be the right forum for WD related concerns

Having the same fault, box was replaced in August 2014 but still happening.

If you pause a film then try to resume play you get the spinning arrow and only a full ( back to factory ) reset sorts it out.

Sometimes you can watch a film to the end but when you try to watch it again or something else it freezes up with the spinning arrow. I know the films are ok as we have played them on a differnet WD box without problems.

I think it must be some type of indexing as all the others functions ( i player , facebook, netflik ) work ok.

We got nice media player, with the worse firmware available, unable to play files on next start, unable to open network places with library activaded, slow as snail  when exploring drives in network if library in not enabled, etc, …, incredible that they release a media player that is unable to play most of the time the files wih actual firmware, 89€ for a brick is too expensive!

How about not lumping issues together especially when this thread is about certain bug? I’m using network shares exclusively with the media library turned off and it’s not snlow as snails. And I can do play ALL of my files (I managed the workaround for this bug already).

Techflaws wrote:

How about not lumping issues together especially when this thread is about certain bug? I’m using network shares exclusively with the media library turned off and it’s not snlow as snails. And I can do play ALL of my files (I managed the workaround for this bug already).

I’m sorry, i know is not the way, but i got it with the same problem(other too) that the user in that message, and WD don’t seems to make anything to fix it, more than 2 months and no new at all!, did you feel that i have payed 89€ and it don’t work!, we don’t need to make workarounds(don’t work for me), they must fix the bugs!