Unable to access my music folder with SONOS

Hi all

I last came here around two years ago while struggling to obtain a connection between my SONOS home music network and the music library stored on my WDMycloud device, and so after relocating I’m back in the same predicament (boy do I wish i’d made a note of the file path before disconnecting everything) and would really appreciate some help.

From memory I wound up using the IP address of the NAS device instead of a name (or maybe I was wrong), as I had reserved the address on my Google wifi network, and having checked it this is still the same in terms of the device, however I don’t know how to enter the IP address as a file path, while I have also tried the usual suspects (\wdmycloud\music and so on) without success.

I have also searched the web for various threads but still nothing works so could anybody here help me?

Did you bump into this article from WD? My Cloud Home: 3rd Party App Sonos Usage

If you are only using one backslash at the beginning that could be the problem. You’ll need 2 back slashes.

I don’t have any Sonos devices but looking at the path you tried (\wdmycloud\music) I know that wouldnt work for me because my music is stored in a public folder: \\wdmycloud\public\music\

[Edit] It is the forum that is causing the single backslash issue :slight_smile:

You can also try adding “.local” to your wdmycloud device name, this gives me good results when browsing from a Mac: \\wdmycloud.local\public\music takes me to my music folder

Hi there

I’ve tried just about every combination (\\wdmycloud\music, \\wdmycloud\music\itunes, \\WDMycloud\shared\music etc.) and none of them work, it just says ‘computer wdmycloud could not be found’.

It’s exasperating because I’m convonced the IP address method worked, yet I can’t remember how I did it, but then again it’s been a while so as before, I could be wrong.

Note: I also tried your suggestions but to no avail.

Problem solved.

I just needed to enter //192.68.xx.xx/music and it immediately connected.

Very happy indeed, and hopefully this comment will help others in a similar situation.

Neil13

I have had the same problem and gave up about the time you resolved yours. I just resolved to manage with using MYCloud Home app which is not as good as Sonos and its cumbersome to find anything. Just about to try just buying a different NAS maybe a Synology. Not very impressed with WD MYCloud. Bit afraid I will just waste more money.

Your solution is close to working for me and the Next button goes live on Sonos Music Library Set up. However, my IP address must be wrong somehow as it cannot find it. I will try searching for a different ip address. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Steve

Note the My Cloud Home line of devices are completely different than the My Cloud line of devices. They have a different operating system. Suggestions for the My Cloud line of devices may not work for the My Cloud Home line of devices. If you have an issue with the My Cloud Home you should see (and ask questions) in the dedicated My Cloud Home subforum for your device: https://community.wd.com/c/home-cloud-storage/228

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have used the My Cloud app instead which is better than nothing, but the app is limited compared to the Sonos Music Library. Eg . You can’t click on a letter to browse.

Before I had a Seagate NAS which worked perfectly for several years.
When I bought the My Cloud the problem seemed to be the smb version it was using which Sonos would not accept.I am reading this is no longer an issue now.

I have just bought a new streamer and wanted to try and fix this problem before deciding whether to have Roon or not. I haven’t managed to connect My cloud to my streamer using Sream Magic app either so far. The problem here is I think allowing My cloud to use UPnP.

Anyway will have a look at the forum you suggest.

Thanks

Steve