Twonky Upgrade

Has anyone on here upgraded their version of Twonky on their MyBook World Edition manually? I have been unable to stream MKV files to my Samsung TV do to Twonky being an older version (5.19) compared to the current Twonky which is 6.3x.

I spoke to twonky support who gave me a free licence key and I downloaded the latest version of Twonky that is compatible with the MyBook. I managed to back up and replace the old Twonky with the new one and I can now stream MKV files to my TV.

I have two issues though:

1. I cannot seek or search through these movies on the TV even though I can on the same files using my WDTV Live player. Any ideas what I need to change to get this functionality?

2. I can save the provided licence key under Twonky and it shows as registered but if I reboot my MyBook, Twonky reverts back to unregistered with 30 days trial and I need to input this licence key again. Any ideas how to save this licence permanently?

This last issue shouldn’t be much of an issue once the firmware is fixed and I don’t need to keep rebooting the MyBook.

I have a Samsung TV LED and MKV movies runs ok by DNLA. But I have to recoded it  with a program named mkclean for it´s works in Twonky 5.19.

I download a new version of Twonky but I have to try it.

I used the 6.34 vesion of Twonky and MKVs play fine, it is just seeking through them that I cannot get to work. No need to recode them to play via the MBW.

donka: How did you update your MBMW twonky installation?

Pretty straight forward to upgrade.

Download the following file:

www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-mss2-6.0.34.zip

Unzip the contents. Now log into your MBWE and check the enable root access box and save. Download and install the free Winscp application on your PC and create a new connection to your MBWE - you will need to enter the IP address and then the default user/pass of root/welc0me

Navigate to \root on the MBWE and riight click on the Twonky folder and select copy. This will copy this folder to your PC as a back up. Now go into this Twonky folder on the MBWE.

On your PC, go into the unzipped folder of the file you downloaded previously in the link above and copy all the contents of this folder into the Twonky folder on the MBWE over writing the contents there.

Now restart the MBWE.

If Twonky is not running i.e. you can’t get to the Twonky settings page after logging into the MBWE then you need to do the following steps.

Download and install the free Putty application and create a connection to the MBWE with the same credentials that you used for the WINSCP app.

Now to quote another user:

you have to go to the root/twonky folder
then type ./twonkymedia -D

if you get the message Permission Denied…try type in “chmod +x twonkymedia” (without “”)
then again type “./twonkymedia -D” (without “”)

now a line should show up like “Demonizing…” then you are done and twonky runs…

Twonky will now run even after a restart of the MBWE. Reply if you are unsure about any steps.

I also followed Twonky on Twitter and asked about a free licence code which they gave me. Worth speaking to them.

donka: how come you needed a new license? I thought that the WD-installed version came with one.

The Twonky v5 that comes with the MBWE is obviously licenced but we don’t know where that licence is stored - presumably because it is a WD volume licence. If you over write this with a new installation as opposed to an official firmware update then v6 will ask for a licence and run as a 30 day trial in the meantime. I spoke with Twonky and they were happy to provide a free licence for version 6.

How did you open the support ticket with Twonky?  I just tried to upgrade and lost its license as expected.  When I contacted Twonky support via their web site email, they basically told me to pound sand.  See email response.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us regarding your query.

As you have got the TwonkyServer pre-installed in the NAS so the free offering of the latest version of TwonkyServer is done by device manufacturer. This will not require any license key to be entered. With the latest firmware of NAS you get the latest version of TwonkyServer for free. Look at the manufacturer's website for firmware updates.

You can upgrade Twonky directly from our website but it will require a license key to be entered. Mostly the license key is hidden in case of NAS pre-installed versions and there is no way to recover it, so there might be a need for you to purchase another key. Also, we do not provide technical support for NAS issue so will not be able to guide on installation steps.

For those wondering, you CAN roll back to your previous version.  Simply copy your BACKUP copy of the ‘twonky’ folder back to the /root/twonky folder, reboot, run  “chmod +x twonkymedia” and “./twonkymedia -D”.

I didn’t raise a support ticket, I followed them on Twitter and asked the question there. I just said I was waiting for WD to update the firmware but they still hadn’t included v6 with their firmware and I needed this version to support my TV and that the Twonky website said V5 to v6 is a free upgade so could they provide a licence key to allow me to upgrade. They were very helpful and got back to me via a direct message and then an email.

Hi Donka;

Can yoiu please confirm the version (Windows/Linux/Mac) you installed on the NAS?  I assume it is the Linux version, but just want to be sure.

Thanks!

The version I posted earlier in this thread. It is a linux build but compiled specifically for the chipset in the MBWE - it is the same chip set used in the Maxtor Storage units hence the name (mss):

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-mss2-6.0.34.zip

Has anyone else been successful in getting a new license key from Twonky?  I’ve tried both twitter and facebook last week, and have not heard back from them.  Seems to me they’d rather have you pay for another license then help.

I got a definative…NO!  Basically, Twonky told me that it was a WD issue and that they (WD) need to package it as part of a firmware update.  :frowning:

The same here… 

" As you have got the TwonkyServer pre-installed in the NAS so the free offering of the latest version of TwonkyServer is done by device manufacturer. This will not require any license key to be entered. With the latest firmware of NAS you get the latest version of TwonkyServer for free. Look at the manufacturer’s website for firmware updates.

You can upgrade Twonky directly from our website but it will require a license key to be entered. Mostly the license key is hidden in case of NAS pre-installed versions and there is no way to recover it, so there might be a need for you to purchase another key. 

The NAS builds are provided “as is” for advanced users who wish to install them at their own risk. We do not provide technical support for INSTALLATION and CONFIGURATION of these versions."

:frowning:

Have you tried posting a message via twitter? That is how I got a response. i was told they wouldn’t support the installation onto the NAS but that was fine by me. I just told them that WD official firmware had the latest twonky @ v5.19 which doesn’t support the features I need.

Yes I did it yesterday on twitter… so far no answer…

Donka, as you are still around, I saw on another forum that you were encountering some troubles with twonky 6 : after restart of the MBWE you lose your settings ? As mine is always running at least sleeping mode I haven’t tried… have you find a solution for this so far ? 

donka, I followed all the steps after Demonizing, I still cannot access the twonky server keep getting “This webpage not available” any tips?

Update - Managed to update twonky.

Twonky keeps telling me no media content shared.

This was also before the update. how do i go about this?

I didn’t find a solution but I actually rolled Twonky back to v5.19 as I wanted to update to the latest beta fw due to the problems with the MBWE dropping off the network with latest released fw. This has fixed the MBWE and it stays on the network now but I haven’t got round to putting Twonky v6 back on yet as my Samsung TV could access the MKV files fine but I couldn’t seek through them.

I’ll probably get round to putting Twonky back on but the issue with it not saving the licence key was only a problem when you restarted the MBWE. Because I have the beta fw on it now, I wouldn’t have a need to keep restarting the MBWE so this wouldn’t really be an issue any more.

@Bohemia

Do you now have the Twonky page showing up? If so, you need to go to the page that lets you share your media and select the folders you wish to share and ensure you have content in them. Let me know if you still have an issue.