Twonky Upgrade

hey donka,

yes I can see the page, I have tried adding /Public/Shared Videos tried /Shared Videos etc in the share volumes and tried reuild database etc, still cannot see the files, its really weird :I 

Did this work before the upgrade? What are you using to look for these files? Are they supported file types?

no it did not work before the upgrade, yeah am using supported files.

ok, what are you using to look for the files? A computer, TV, mobiel phone app?

computer and wd live tv both say no content shared even the twonky web interface lists each media 0

OK, I have a WD TV Live so I know we are comparing similar. When you go into Media Servers on the WDTV, doe sit show up the MyBookWorld?

it says TwonkyServer [MyBookWorld]

OK, so you select this and then it takes you into the folder navigation. What folders are you seeing?

just shows videos - youtube :S

So under Videos there are no further folders, just the option for YouTube? I’m not at home just now so can’t recall the full folder structure.

it should be Pictures, Videos, Music as i remember, yeah currenlty it just shows youtube, i guess the script file somehow is not the right one maybe.

How did you install v6 of Twonky?

What steps did you do although I’m curious why this never worked before you upgraded.

followed mostly the steps you wrote, yes even i am wondering why it didnt work before.

OK, my steps essentially were to back up the existing Twonky folder, copy the downloaded archive and copy the contents of that into the existing Twonky folder over writing everything before restarting the server. If you did all this then it should work as normal.

The fact it didn’t work before means something was already amiss. Is there a reset to default setting for the Twonky admin page? If so, I would try that and set it up again from scratch. From default, all you need to do is copy video content into the shared video folder and the WDTV should be able to see it without any other config.

If you want to send me a screenshot of your admin page and folder structure I will see if I can see anything that may be causing this.

1 Like

Finally managed to get it working, i just deleted the backup folder of twonky and replaced the twonkymedia-server-default.ini with another one and manually edited the directories in it.

@donka Thanks for bearing with me, cheers m8!

NP. Glad you got it working. :slight_smile:

i followed  all the procedure down  but  i  can’t get to the Twonky settings page after logging into the MBWE .  Donka suggest  Download and install the free Putty application and create a connection to the MBWE with the same credentials that you used for the WINSCP app. but i don’t  know what is Putty aplication and how it works. Please somebody Help me… 

Unzip the contents. Now log into your MBWE and check the enable root access box and save. Download and install the free Winscp application on your PC and create a new connection to your MBWE - you will need to enter the IP address and then the default user/pass of root/welc0me

Navigate to \root on the MBWE and riight click on the Twonky folder and select copy. This will copy this folder to your PC as a back up. Now go into this Twonky folder on the MBWE.

On your PC, go into the unzipped folder of the file you downloaded previously in the link above and copy all the contents of this folder into the Twonky folder on the MBWE over writing the contents there.

Now restart the MBWE.

i finally managed to get twonky 6 on my MyBook World (White)

i used http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-mss2-6.0.34.zip

put the files in “/twonky” (first i copied the old folder to “/twonky5” so i had a backup)

chmod all the files (and sub directories/files) to 777

and restart the machine.

check if it all works (30 day trial), if so buy a serial number for a few bucks.

it now works a LOT better with my philips 7606 tv

(with version 5 i could not fast forward)

Hey Donka

Thx for your guide!

I tried it step by step…I own a WD My book Live NAS cloud server (basicaly the same FW as normal live with twonky media server)

My twonky folder is at /usr/local/twonkymedia not at /root…after following your guide i found my drive to show the twonky page in UI but with no specs…normal i think

My problem is that the rest DLNA appliances (Google TV)  i have does not recognize it at all after changing to twonky 6…

i had to go back again…

any ideas?

Thanx! 

I’m no expert and I don’t have anything in front of me at the moment but I would guess you could try changing the preferences file in the new Twonky and try adding your Google TV as a client? Check the old preferences file to see if the Google TV is listed in that or not? Sometimes you need to have twonky ‘broadcasting’ that it will support that particular client before the client will ‘see’ it.