Twonky and Matroska

Hello guys,

my problem is that the Twonky Server on MyBookLive 2 TB is not abel to stream Matroska files. Is there a possibility to enabel this funktion? I think the recent Twonky Server 6.x streams .mkv!

Thanks for your answers!

Hi there, as far as I know the version of Twonky on the MBL is 5.19, not 6 and besides, to where are you streaming the MKV files to?

I’m not able to stream mkv-files either. Not to my dlna cabable TV or to my laptop (even if directly connected to the laptop). I am in discussion with WD about this and I have sent them some files so they can recreate the issue in their labs. Will keep you posted…

The MBL streams MKV just fine. But the RECEIVER of that stream must support MKV. Does your TV?

I try to stream it to my TV which supports mkv. Twonky support said that version 5.x does have problems with Matroska, which are solved in verions 6.x.

Because of this I think my problem could be solved with a newer Twonky Server!

My TV supports MKV-streaming and I can stream MKV-files perfectly from my laptop and my other NAS (QNAP with Twonky 6xx) so the TV is not the problem. I believe it is the old Twonky on MBL. I can play MKV-files on my laptop through file share but not if MBL is used as media server.

WD should really get this fixed and hopefully they will come up with an answer soon.

Hold on, let’s make sure we’re not talking about two different things.

The build of TWONKY that runs on the MBL does NOT do TRANSCODING.

It’s possible the poster up there that replaced it with version 6.x kept TRANSCODING enabled, as it would with a PC-based Twonky server.

That can confuse the issue and make it LOOK like your TV supports MKV.  

So, are you CERTAIN your TV supports the MKV format?  What Make/Model?

As I wrote I am realy sure my TV supports mkv!!

I do not need any transcoding, only streaming .mkv files.

Now I upgraded the Twonky Server myself via SSH to 6.0.32 and matroska streaming works fine!

Ok, that’s fine…

*MY* TV supports MKV, too, but only if it’s AVC/h.264 HP@4.1 or MP@4.1.   In other words, since MKV is only a container, that doesn’t actually mean a lot to say “My TV supports mkv!!”    It also needs to support the internal codec WITHIN the MKV file.

I was just curious what the make and model of your TV is to see if Twonky changed a profile for it…

The original statement you made that Twonky doesn’t stream MKV isn’t technically true.   I’m trying to determine (for the benefit of other people that might find this thread in a search) what makes it not work for you in its original state.

a month ago

I’m not able to stream mkv-files either. Not to my dlna cabable TV or to my laptop (even if directly connected to the laptop). I am in discussion with WD about this and I have sent them some files so they can recreate the issue in their labs. Will keep you posted…

UPDATE

Just went to check the status of the mkv issue WD said it was working with. Turned out my subject was closed by WD. Thanks WD for not letting me know you decided to close the subject  without notifying me. And thanks for saying you would keep me updated but didn’t. Great customer service! What a way to deal with problems, just quietly sweeping them under the carpet like they never existed. Way to go WD!

They probably closed it after asking for information and not receiving it.   Kinda like what happened in this thread.  :wink:

Oh, and incidentally, the MBL runs a NEWER version of Twonky than QNAP does…  At least on mine, The MBL is running 5.1.9 and the QNAPs running the latest firmware are both running 5.1.6…

Actually newer than most of our competitors. The company that starts with a B still runs 4.4. The company that starts with an I runs 5.1.6.

After emailing WD I got a response that their engineers are still working on the issue and will keep me posted. Didn’t give any reason why they had closed the subject though.

As I said before, it is not a TV issue as you can’t stream mkv-files to PC/laptop media player either if you are using MBL as media server (via Twonky I mean). You can play mkv-files on PC media player if you are using MBL as network share. And seems like WD is fully aware of this problem:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3888

That is excactly what happens when trying to play mkv-file on PC via Twonky, it just hangs indefinitely and cannot open the file. But if you open the file via network share the file plays just fine.

Did you even read the KB article you linked to? 

It says the reason for the issue is because the RECEIVING device DOES NOT support MKV.

It does NOT say that WD is aware of a problem and is working on a fix.   

In other words, according to that KB article, It is NOT a problem with the MBL.   That’s what I’ve been telling you all along.

The ARTICLE doesn’t say they are aware of the problem and working on the fix, but WD PEOPLE do say they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

Plus why is it that there is no receiving end problem when using different NAS and/or different Twonky version? This sort of conflicts with what you are saying that RECEIVING device does not support mkv-streaming… Just a thought…

You said, “It appears WD is fully aware of the problem,” and posted a link to a KB article that says it’s NOT a WD problem.   

TheEdge wrote:

Plus why is it that there is no receiving end problem when using different NAS and/or different Twonky version? 

Asked and answered in previous post in this thread.

For me the article clearly says they know that MKV-streaming (via Twonky) does not work from their network drives. They even provide a reason for this. So if they say it doesn’t work, for whatever reason really, doesn’t that mean they are aware of the problem of mkv streaming not working?

I’m confused. So if you have the same receiving device, and you can stream mkvs via Twonky 6.xx but not via Twonky 5.xx, how can you say the problem is not in the streaming end?

That article CLEARLY states that the reason Windows Media Player cant stream MKVs from WD MBL is because Windows media player doesn’t support MKV by default! How can that POSSIBLY confuse you? They are absolutely correct! NO MEDIA SERVER can stream an MKV to Windows Media Player by default. You can add software to Windows that makes it work, in which case Twonky works fine.

I already answered your other question.

I do understand you need proper codecs and whatnot to play mkv on Media player. What confuses me is that you can’t stream mkv to Media player with MBL and Twonky 5.xx, but  you can stream mkv to the same Media player with Twonky 6.xx . I do not know how to put it any simpler than this.

Ok So far for the Problems

I stream MKV via  mbl to my 52" lcd TV   without any Problems !!! and current mbl firmware.

I can find all files on MBL via the network connection of my TV. no stuttering .

Even i can Play all the files from MBL File via my Philips Soundbar with upnp

I also stream from MBL to a DUNE  HD Prime3  without any Problems.

The Dune sees the networkstorage via UPnP and plays it.

But actually the Dune plays every File i throw at  him isos mkvs dvds bluerays and…

So thats not a real Problem with the MBL i think.