That would have worked! Because the problem was that I wasn’t looking in the right places.
But I think I should say what happened here and why I initially failed following many posts and guides, because this was a bit of a pain.
I’d installed transmission using the WD GUI. Some of the guides knocking around I think are for different installations, because none quite accurately described what I had to do… not helped by a rudimentary knowledge of linux.
So, it seems I’d kicked off processes trying to set passwords using transmission-daemon -u transmission-daemon -p because the actual transmission process on my installation (which I found out using “top”) is transmission-daemon-addon So whenever I was trying to stop the process, like i described in my original post, that wasn’t working either.
Once I established that I was able to disable the process, I was also given the location of the process, and from there I found and edited the json and finally get my password setup.
I just need to go back in now and set a few other bits like default download folder, and bandwidth allocation. Because making changes in the GUI all get reverted if I power down the box.
This took me ages to sort, cos I’m really inexperienced with linux, but was pretty ok with DOS back in the day, but there’s subtle differences in things like the cd command from DOS to linux that I didn’t figure out and so I kept thinking that I had admin issues navigating around the file structure…