Transfer from one NAS to another remote NAS

I have recently purchased a My Cloud EX2 Ultra. My friend also has the same NAS. Is there any way of him transferring files he has on his remote NAS (on a different network to mine) directly to my own NAS?

I tried creating a share and giving him access as a user, but there doesn’t no seem the functionality for him to copy or move his files into the share. He can only view the folders of the share.

Idea would be for us to have a share on each others drives and the functionality to share files remotely to the others NAS when required.

Any ideas?

There are a few options for your friend to transfer files from his My Cloud EX2 Ultra to yours remotely:

• Cloud Sync - If you both have your NAS set up with cloud storage like Dropbox or Google Drive, he can sync the files to the cloud from his NAS and you can sync them down to your NAS. This utilizes the internet as the “middleman”.
  • VPN - Set up a VPN connection between your two networks. This will make it appear as if the NAS are on the same local network, allowing file transfers between them. You would need to configure port forwarding and VPN software on your routers.
  • FTP - Set up an FTP server on your NAS and give your friend the login details. He can then connect to your FTP from his NAS and upload files. Not as seamless as a shared folder but can work.
  • Sync Tool - Use a sync tool like Syncthing or Resilio Sync that lets you sync folders between devices over the internet. You’d install this on both NAS.
  • Physical Transfer - Always an option to copy the files to a portable hard drive and transfer that way. Low tech but reliable.

The ideal method would likely be a VPN to make the NAS appear on the same network. That or a syncing tool like Syncthing designed for this purpose. Let me know if you need any help with the setup!

The AI driven bot, necroposting a 5 year old question, is not wrong.

Unless you can do a sneaker-net, Setting up a VPN between the two networks is probably the best route.

You will need a “VPN Server” on one network (which in my personal case runs on my router as a built-in function). You will need a “VPN Client” on a PC on the other network. Beyond these words. . .google is your friend.