Transfer from one NAS to another remote NAS

I have recently purchased a My Cloud EX2 Ultra. My friend also has the same NAS. Is there any way of him transferring files he has on his remote NAS (on a different network to mine) directly to my own NAS?

I tried creating a share and giving him access as a user, but there doesn’t no seem the functionality for him to copy or move his files into the share. He can only view the folders of the share.

Idea would be for us to have a share on each others drives and the functionality to share files remotely to the others NAS when required.

Any ideas?

Yes, there is a way for your friend to transfer files from their remote NAS to your NAS directly, but it requires a few steps and some specific configurations. Here’s a general outline of what you can do:

1. Enable Remote Access on Both NAS Devices**: You’ll need to enable remote access on both NAS devices so that they can communicate with each other over the internet. This typically involves port forwarding on your respective routers and setting up dynamic DNS (DDNS) services.
  2. Set Up a VPN Connection**: Once remote access is enabled, you can set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection between the two NAS devices. This creates a secure, encrypted tunnel between them, allowing them to communicate as if they were on the same local network.
  3. Map Network Drives**: After the VPN connection is established, you can map network drives on each NAS device, pointing to shared folders on the other NAS. This will allow you to access and transfer files between the two NAS devices as if they were locally connected.
  4. Use Third-Party Software (Optional)**: Alternatively, you can use third-party software like FileZilla or WinSCP to establish a secure connection between the two NAS devices and transfer files. These tools typically support various transfer protocols like FTP, SFTP, and WebDAV.

It’s important to note that setting up remote access and VPN connections can be technically involved and may require advanced networking knowledge. If you’re not familiar with these concepts, it’s recommended to consult the user manuals or seek assistance from the NAS manufacturer’s support resources.

Additionally, make sure to follow best security practices, such as using strong passwords, enabling encryption, and keeping your NAS firmware and software up-to-date to prevent unauthorized access.