Time machine access to My Book World on Sierra

Since OS Sierra, my MacBook Pro Time Machine can’t access the MyBookWorld-Backup drive. It shows up on the Finder list but Time Machine can’t connect to it. Tried all the tricks from past OS upgrades (trying to connect to that drive directly etc.) but they don’t work with Sierra. Any suggestions?

Hi,

Have you tried the following links:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25603?locale=en_US

Nothing obvious in the link addresses my problem. My WD Mybook World
Edition (I know it’s old) is attached to my Linksys network. It worked
fine with the previous Mac OS. With Sierra, it stopped being able to use
the WD-Backup Drive. I’d be surprised if I’m the only one having this
issue but I can’t seem to find it on either the Apple or WD sites.
Charlie.

You’re not alone! I am also experiencing this issue. In fact, I just found out that my Time Machine backups haven’t been happening for the past 10 days! So I went to Time Machine Preferences, selected the WD MyBookWorld backup disk and got the message “…the server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time.” When I checked the status of the drive, everything was okay! I rebooted, power cycled, but Time Machine still could not connect to it. I even went as far as resetting the drive (after making sure my other backups – CCC and CrashPlan – were good) and re-initializing it, but still nothing!
I am using an iMac running Sierra OS, having recently switched from a 2007 MacBook, which created Time Machine backups on MyBookWorld fine (apart from the occasional need to perform a fresh backup). Seems to me like Time Machine and Sierra aren’t playing well together!

Hi CharlieV1 ,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

Peter - I took the link provided and went thru quite a bit of hassle getting the S.N etc entered - after I hit submit it keeps telling me “enter a valid model number” - except there’s no model number field in the form. Catch22 I am missing something?

Hi CharlieV1 ,

May be you can contact us via phone.

Contact Number : 1 (800) 275-4932

Support Hours
Monday - Thursday
8AM - 9PM CDT
Friday - Sunday
8AM - 7PM CDT