My Book for Mac and OS X Sierra 10.12

Hi,

I upgraded my OS from El Capitan to Sierra last night. My My Book for Mac has said Preparing Backup for several hours today. Would this be taking long as it is going through the new OS or is it not recognizing it?

I looked around before asking the question to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

I also upgraded my mid-2011 iMAC to Sierra and experienced a long wait time for the Time Machine backup to start. Eventually, the backup was successfully completed. I thought that the backups were running slowly, so I shutdown the computer, disconnected it from power, disconnected the USB cable from the WD drive. After restarting the iMAC, I reconnected the USB cable. Time Machine backups seem to be working OK now - both automatically and forced.

Separate issue - I’m getting the message when opening WD Drive Utilities: “Failed to search for software updates. Server could not understand the Request.” Also, I’m intermittently getting a message saying there’s a RAID issue when the iMAC wakes from sleep, although there’s no RAID implemented. Any guidance? Experiencing same?

1 Like

Was running WD Drive Utilities Version 2.0.3.30, which may not be compatible with Sierra. Uninstalling/reinstalling the utility did not help; would not launch. Have since uninstalled the utility until Western Digital updates the software with a Sierra-compatible version.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for reporting the issue.
We’re working on it :slight_smile: Stay Tuned

This is a known issue for a long time.

There is a new version on WDs website, but looks like it’s not compatible with Sierra either. Timemachine is complaining it can not access the backup folder.

I would advise to stay away from Drive Utilities until WD releases a new version. Can take quite some time though…

It seems now that my back up works whenever it feels like it. It is set for hourly back ups but I’m lucky if it backup twice a day. It did no backups from October 1 to October 3. I can do Back up Now and it will back up. The other bizarre issue is it seems to create two back ups each time. One showing files and the other one Blank.

You are talking about Time Machine here ?

For me it’s working fine. I’m not using any of the WD Utilities, but it looks like Time Machine doesn’t back up when the iMac is in sleep mode AND the WD drive is in sleep mode. So when you wake up (with locked screen), the WD drive also wakes up. If Time Machine sees it missed a back-up opportunity it starts to back-up immediately.

Yes to Time Machine.

But I have been on my computer all morning (no sleep mode) and still has not produced a back up. Just very odd.

Hi there. i am also having problem with my MacBook with the latest version Sierra. I didn’t realised until i have completely updated my MacBook. i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to solve this problem. i just bought few days ago and it would be a waste if it can’t be used anymore. thanks.

Hi, any update yet?
Really need to get my Mybook back up on Sierra.
Thanks.

Is this related to the same issue outlined here: My Passport not mounting on macos 10.12 - #4 by Shahar_Hadas

Still working on it? If so, is there any news?

Received this from WD support. This is so lame that I can hardly fathom it. Sierra has been out since September and they see to be simply writing off all of those customers. Unbelievable. Why should I ever buy a WD drive again?

"Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is …

I have read your description carefully. I would like to ask you if you have ever used that device with Sierra. Because as you can see in page 2 Sierra is not compatible:
User Manual (PDF)

Sierra is much more recent OS in regard with the MyBook and so it is not tested if works properly.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further."