The IO operation failed due to a hardware error

Greetings,

I purchased as My Passport Ultra 2TB. I have encountered the following on multiple USB (both 2.0 and 3.0) cables, multiple USB ports (both 2.0 and 3.0), on multiple computers.

• disk 154 None The IO operation at logical block address 0x3f00c000 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\000000a8) failed due to a hardware error.
  • disk 154 None The IO operation at logical block address 0x800c000 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\000000a8) failed due to a hardware error.
  • disk 154 None The IO operation at logical block address 0x1c00c000 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\000000a8) failed due to a hardware error.

Neither Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows nor Acronis True Image 64bit rescue CD can not detect the disk. Dedicated forensics software (With Admin privileges) such as WinHex detects the disk as ‘WD My Passport 0820’ but can not access it.

DiskPart lists the disk as being online with a capacity of 0MB. USB Device Tree Viewer V3.1.6 can detect that the disk is connected, read the hardware and device ID, status as 0x0180600A. Full report.

How can I recover data from this disk?

Update:
WD Drive Utilities 2.0.0.44 can not read my Passport Ultra’s S.M.A.R.T. data, at least it detect the disk.

UPDATE: I just downloaded and installed WD utilities version 2.1.2.167.
No change. Same results as pervious.

Wow. 6 years later. I have the same issue and have tried the same utility but version 1.3.0.17 (from my second MyPassport drive).
I tried to update it but it produces an error. I will try to find it manually.
But, it does detect the drive.

The “Diagnose” - “Run Drive Status Check” fails outright.
The “Diagnose” - “Run Quick Drive Test” and “Run Complete Drive Test” both fail to do anything!

I sure you wish you had found a solution.
There are 1000’s of old photos on this drive that I have no copy for.
That is what MyPassport was supposed to be for afterall.

So disappointed.