Swallowing my pride and asking for help

Hello. I am  a frustrated owner of a MBL 2TB. I installed it yesterday and can’t get it to work right and hoping someone will help.

1. The Public Share on the MBL only shows as 49GB. Am I supposed to format this before I can use it? I didn’t see that written anywhere.

2. I can see the Public Share on my wireless Vista laptop and wired Windows 7 desktop, but not on my TV being fed by a WD TV Live Plus. Also, I have never been able to see my Windows 7 desktop on the WD TV Live Plus but could see the vista laptop on it.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

1.  It sounds like your PC is connecting via WebDAV instead of MIcrosoft Network.   Search the forum for “webdav” and you’ll see more about that.

2.  Make sure EVERY device on your home network is set to the same Workgroup name.

Maybe you could help me. I will send screen 

Attached Device

Can not access dashboard again

Wired Devices
# IP Address MAC Address Device Name
1 192.168.10.5 00:90:A9:A1:DB:75 WDTVLIVEHUB
2 192.168.10.4 00:90:A9:B4:8B:72 MYBOOKLIVE

Wireless Devices (Wireless intruders also show up here)
# IP Address MAC Address Device Name
1 192.168.10.3 F8:1E:DF:DF:E2:37 MACBOOKPRO-8014

Tonyph12345, I will check that. I haven’t worked in IT for 15 years now and am not familiar with WebDAV. I do have the Workgroup name straight though. I’ll plst back later this evening when I get home. Thanks.

Anyone know why my Public Share (which was set up by default) only shows as 49GB?

Same reason I already posted above.   Your PC is connecting via WebDAV.

Sorry TonyPH12345. I thought that was WebDAV only affected the connectivity issue with the TV Live Plus. So far I haven’t found any good information on WebDAV or how to disable it. Really don’t know how it would affect how much storage space a hard drive has. Can you post a link that would help? I have been looking.

TonyPh12345, I am surprised that I only get a couple hits for Microsoft pertaining to WebDAV. Is this not part of Microsoft’s protocols? I never installed WebDAV so how did it get installed/turned on? Wouldn’t I have to really go out of my way to get this installed and working? Or am I just not using the right search terms?

omahahaha wrote:

Really don’t know how it would affect how much storage space a hard drive has. 

It doesn’t.  

It affects how Microsoft DISPLAYS the storage space a hard drive has.

If you were to copy 48 GB to that share, it would continue to display 49GB, because Microsoft displays the remaining space of your PRIMARY drive (most likely C:) for ALL WebDav-mounted drives.

omahahaha wrote:

TonyPh12345, I am surprised that I only get a couple hits for Microsoft pertaining to WebDAV. Is this not part of Microsoft’s protocols? I never installed WebDAV so how did it get installed/turned on? Wouldn’t I have to really go out of my way to get this installed and working? Or am I just not using the right search terms?

You’re searching HERE, right?   There’s TONS of stuff on WebDAV issues here, and numerous posts on “fixes.”   I don’t know them off the top of my head because my PCs aren’t exhibiting the problem.

No, it’s not part of Microsoft’s protocols.   It’s an IETF-defined protocol (RFC 4918), which Windows (Vista and later) supports natively and is installed as part of the base OS.

But no one has ever pinned down why Microsoft computers PREFER to connect via WebDAV when they are told instead to connect via CIFS.

Try this search:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=category%3Anetwork&q=webdav

TonyPh12345, I have checked here also and so far only see various issues with people saying they are because of webdav; no fixes other than someone saying you have to use windows networking instead. I have no idea how to disable webdav and if I do, will everything else still work? Webdav is not showing up in my network properties, but then neither is windows networking.

I did a restore to factory defaults on the MBL, and now the Dashboard shows 2TB but Windows Exploder (Explorer) still only shows 49GB. This is stupid. I can share a folder on my network without spending $130 for this. I wanted something easy to use that the whole family could use. If I can’t find the fix soon, it is going back. I have a more than full time job and 2 young kids. I don’t have time to make something work that is advertised as working out of the box. Pretty disappointing product. I do appreciate yours and anyone’s help, but so far, no solution has been found.

One question, if the MBL is a stand-alone device, why would it matter to the WD TV Live Plus how my PC was set up? The MBL isn’t connected to my PC, it is on the network by it self. My Windows 7 PC and Windows Vista Laptop can both see the MBL. I really don’t get this.

It DOES work as advertised.  The WebDAV issue is a Microsoft problem, not a WD bug. 

I agree with omahahaha. Lots of discussion. No real solutions.

I’m exprienncing very similar problems and blaming Microsoft isn’t helping any of us. Can someone help by posting a permanent way of preventing Windows from using the WebDAV service?

Try reading the WebDAV FAQ:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WebDAV-FAQ/td-p/463854

1 Like

Thank you. That’s perfect.

I think the problem is that most posts with these questions are answered “try searching the forums for WebDAV”. Now when you search for “WebDAV” most of the posts seem to be queries about the same issue all referring to searching for WebDAV - it’s created a bit of a pointless loop. Not blaming anyone, just making the observation.

loquah wrote:

Thank you. That’s perfect.

That’s what gave me the nudge to pen that thread.  Hopefully it’ll be useful.

Perhaps some additional info here that will help…

1. Using  TonyPh12345’s brilliant WebDAV info, I confirmed that WebDAV was my problem (using the “net use” command in the cmd prompt).
  2. I then used this:  http://www.windowstipspage.com/disable-enable-webclient-service/ to help me permanently disbale Web Client Service (which connects to WebDAV)
  3. Then remapped my drives normally
  4. Checked for correct connection (using “net use” again) and it was correct
  5. Next, re-enabled Web Client Service
  6. After loggin off and logging back on this seems to have premanently re-linked via the desirable Windows Network protocols, not Web Client Server!

Yay!