Storage issues from DBR_BOOT?

I have a 2TB MyCloud that currently has 1.8MB being used for category Other. I am not a heavy user and my goal when purchasing the unit was for videos, photos and music (which total 99GB, 37GB and 540 MB respectively). I am trying to find out and delete what is taking all the space in my MyCloud Other category. I suspect it has something to do with the backing up of my system. When I log into MyCloud I see a DBR_BOOT and a DBR_BOOT_2 path, but cannot access them. I also see a DBR_BOOT3 in my WD MyCloud network folder. Is it possible that my system backup is taking over the majority of my storage? Or how can I better identify what is taking up the storage in my WD MyCloud? Also when I click on the DBR_BOOT and DBR_BOOT_2 in MyCloud I get the following error Path not found. (400044). Thank you.

What are you using (software) to backup your system? Is it a Windows or Mac PC? Where is the DBR_BOOT folder being stored on the My Cloud, a private Share that you created or in the default Public Share?

It appears the DBR_BOOT is from a Dell computer and is possibly their boot recovery partition.

You have a 2TB drive, which appears to be nowhere near full.

Why, realistically, are you bothered about 1.8MB…?

I was using the WD SmartWare to backup my system which is a Windows 8.1. My initial concern is that the DBR_BOOT is creating a backup of the system that my WD MyCloud is continuously saving, but I have been unable to identify if that is the case. The DBR_BOOT and DBR_BOOT_2 show up as a file directory when I log into MyClould, but I am unable to see what is in the directory as I get an error. In addition, DBR_BOOT_3 also appears as an Attached Storage. I am unsure how this happened as the only device that should be attached is 2TB My Book (which properly is attached). How can I remove the boot recovery partition from my MyCloud if it is indeed saving multiple system recovery files? I am unable to even open the file path.

Apologize for the typo as the “Other” category in my MyClould is taking 1.8TB not 1.8MB.

Okay…

What is the free space indicator showing?

Because I wonder if the DBR_BOOT actually refers to your external MyBook drive. The size is about right, and the repeated names (DBR_BOOT_2, DBR_BOOT_3) is a known problem for attached USB disks .

You are now mentioning a My Book drive. Where is that attached? The My Cloud USB port? If so there is a well known issue in this subforum with USB hard drives that are attached to a My Cloud where the USB drive Share name is replicated exactly as you mention, _1, _2, _3, etc.

If the My Book is not attached to the My Cloud’s USB port can you post a screen capture of what you are seeing to better show what your attempting to describe?

The solution to the USB duplicate name issue is to eject the USB drive through the My Cloud Dashboard, then access the Dashboard > Shares page and remove all Shares that have the USB drive’s name. Then reattach the USB drive to the My Cloud, access the Dashboard > Shares page again, select the USB drive Share name and rename it back to the original USB drive name.

Here are just a few past threads where this duplicate USB name issue has been discussed:

https://community.wd.com/t/my-safepoints-disappear/160698

https://community.wd.com/t/new-release-firmware-release-04-04-02-105-1-27-2016/148441/68

https://community.wd.com/t/mycloud-creating-numerous-aliases-for-same-drive/160161

https://community.wd.com/t/usb-drive-makes-new-name/152675

https://community.wd.com/t/dublicate-shares-after-reboot/153348

The free space is at 2%.

Thank you for the threads to resolve the duplicate drives. I was able to successfully delete and reconnect according to the threads. I was hoping that creation of the additional share drives was the reason for lack of free space which now stands at 2%, however that does not appear to be the case. I’ve added up all the data for the files shown when I login to MyCloud and the total is under 200GB. Short of wiping all the files and shares, is there any way to identify what could be causing the storage issue? I only use the MyCloud for pictures, videos and documents so I could just download everything to my desktop and completely wipe out everything on MyCloud and start over, but I was hoping there was a better way…

What would be the best way to completely wipe out the existing storage in MyCloud and just start over?

You should stop and figure out what is the actual storage space used/free on your My Cloud. First would be looking at each Share on the Dashboard Share page and see what it is reporting as the size for each share. Total those numbers up and see what you get. The second way is to log into the My Cloud using SSH and running Linux command line commands to list the hard drive used and free space capacity, in particular the Share folder sizes. Do not rely on Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder to report the correct used/free space or rely on the Capacity reporting on the Home Dashboard screen. At times they can report incorrect information.

Sometimes doing a simple 4 second reset or 40 second system restore is enough to fix strange issues with the My Cloud.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13986

I’d also remove the USB disk, just in case it’s confusing things…

If you do want to wipe the thing and start from scratch, do a Quick Factory Restore. Read the User Manual for details (and other useful stuff…).

If you want to know where the data is located. SSH into the My Cloud cd to /.
then run du -h --max-depth=1 This will show you how much disk space each
folder contains. Once you find a folder with a high amount of disk. cd to that directory
and run the command again.

RAC

After checking the Dashboard Share instead of the MyCloud login page, I was able to see that the SmartWare share was using 1.7 TB. Even though my desktop uses less than 1 TB, I assume the multiple file histories (default is 5) created the storage issue. I was originally attempting to create a system backup in MyBook which is connected to MyClould. Greatly appreciate all the responses and effort to help.