Still on OS3, should I upgrade to OS5 in light of the recent issues?

Hi all,

I have a WD MyCloud device (not a MyCloud Home) which is still on OS3. I have been meaning to upgrade to OS5 and by coincidence only just got round to start the process today and now I’ve seen the news about the outage I am wondering if I should wait even longer (despite OS3 being out of support).

Question: if I upgrade to OS5, is local access via SMB still a feature or are OS5 users completely locked out with this type of outage?

Thanks in advance.

What firmware is your My Cloud currently running? If v4.x firmware, then the single bay My Cloud (first generation) cannot be updated to v2.x firmware that is required to update to OS5 v5.x firmware.

You can either check the My Cloud Dashboard for the firmware version or check the P/N number on the bottom of the single bay/single drive My Cloud unit.
First generation single bay My Cloud: P/N: WDBCTLxxxxxxx-00, FW 04.xx.xx
Second generation single bay My Cloud: P/N: WDBCTLxxxxxxx-10, FW 02.xx.xx

1 Like

@CCMU
On my 2nd generation WDMYCLOUD OS5 I can access my shares by using \\DeviceName. Use the two back slashes and the name of your My Cloud.

I can get to my Dashboard by using File Explorer and entering the address as shown in this image.
image Then sign in.

Cloud Access will show as Failed. See example image below.

1 Like

Hahahah. With the current trouble; that is actually a case for staying on OS/3. :wink:

BTW: you need WD servers to do the initial registration of a device on OS/5 I do believe.

My personal partial solution: Run OS/3 on a dedicated router that has no WAN (internet) access.

For normal people: I would run OS/5 on the same router. . . .

(OS/5 uses SMB3; which is much more secure than OS/3 SMB1 . . . . . there are some annoying OS/3 bugs which OS/5 successfully addressed)

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the replies and advice.

Glad to hear that I can continue to access my data on my local network via SMB on OS5 and that it also has some improvements.

I will definitely upgrade as soon as WD get their house in order.

Thanks again to all.