SSD Drive health 'critical' after just over a year of use?!

I bought my WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe SSD back in April of 2020, and installed it in my laptop to replace the SK Hynix 256gb that came with it. I haven’t had any issue with the SSD until a week ago when I booted up and laptop and I get a warning saying that ‘Short self test unsuccessful’ and I manage to boot to Windows. I downloaded the WD Dashboard to run diagnostic on it and I am surprised.
It says the ‘life remaining’ on the SSD is 100%, yet the ‘drive health’ is critical and a subsystem has degraded.
I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue as well?

You should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this for live assistance and troubleshooting:

To Contact WD for Technical Support

support.wdc.com

I have, they said in order to RMA it, I need to register it first. Yet I am waiting for them to register it since the system they have isn’t accepting the information I have when I try to do it. I plan on contacting them again soon since this was about 4 days ago at this point…
Thank you for the link though to the site

I have just had the same issue with my SN850 1TB less than 2 years after purchase and in was inactive for a year of that…
Just wondering the best course of action, if you can advise me on your experience. Did you have any resolution for this problem?

I replaced the drive. I opened a warranty ticket with WD and got a new drive through the warranty system. It took a while to get a response from someone, but I was able to and eventually got a new one.
I’m still unsure what caused my initial issue however and no longer have that system as I replaced it a few months after this was resolved. I’m sorry this isn’t much information but I do hope it helps.

1 Like

Well thats a relatively good outcome, hopefully I can have equally good result, with any luck the new one doesn’t have the same issue…
Thanks so much for your response!