Some questions about care of hardware, and about media data sharing

• Though I haven’t read the UM in detail, I haven’t seen mention of this: Is the MyCloud hardware durable to keep unit operating 24 hours 7 days? Internet routers stay on 24 hours without problem. Can the mycloud unit handle stress of continuous connection or does it need to be shut down when not in use?

• Could there be a problem with locating the mycloud unit by a window, where there is some sun-heat and moisture?

• If a problem with several people accessing and using media (music) files on MyCloud? Could four or five people accessing, browsing and playing media files cause problem with the mycloud hard drive?

• Password protection: Can media files be placed in public folder, but required password for access? (Personally submitting password to persons to allow access.)

Thanks.

rocket_pc wrote:

• Though I haven’t read the UM in detail, I haven’t seen mention of this: Is the MyCloud hardware durable to keep unit operating 24 hours 7 days? Internet routers stay on 24 hours without problem. Can the mycloud unit handle stress of continuous connection or does it need to be shut down when not in use?> No problem 24/7, NASes are designed this way. Usually the drive will sleep after a while if no files being accessed.
  • Could there be a problem with locating the mycloud unit by a window, where there is some sun-heat and moisture?> It’s good to keep the unit cool, avoid moisture and heat. I have mine in an enclosed glass but ventilated.
  • If a problem with several people accessing and using media (music) files on MyCloud? Could four or five people accessing, browsing and playing media files cause problem with the mycloud hard drive?> Should be no problem. I have several people accessing the NAS both locally and remotely 24/7.
  • Password protection: Can media files be placed in public folder, but required password for access? (Personally submitting password to persons to allow access.)> The public folder is meant for all to access. Instead create a new password protected share and you could share the credentials with several people.

Thanks.

Though I haven’t read the UM in detail

Whilst it’s not the greatest read in the world, or that well organised, it is worth reading…

The safety instructions, pre-installation instructions and handling precautions discuss the environmental needs of the device: essentially, cool, dry, dust-free, away from strong magnetic fields, stable and vibration-free.

If you are talking about DLNA media shareing there is no password protection even if in a password protected share. this is a “feature” of DLNA, not a WD issue

Okay, that covers some basics needed to know. It could be a problem locating the unit away from sun and moisture if if is connected by cable to a router located in the window.

Another question I forgot to ask, can media in public sharing be removed or changed by anybody, rather only myself? I don!t want to discover songs and albums disappearing from this folder.

Thanks.

Another question I forgot to ask, can media in public sharing be removed or changed by anybody, rather only myself?

I can’t remember; there’s only me on my network…

However, if you are concerned, put your media on a private share, enable media serving on the share, and tell Twonky to search for media on it. DLNA ignores access controls. In this case, this is good…

rocket_pc wrote:
Okay, that covers some basics needed to know. It could be a problem locating the unit away from sun and moisture if if is connected by cable to a router located in the window.

Get a longer cat5e cable. It should help keep a distance between the router/window and the unit probably near another wall plug.

Another question I forgot to ask, can media in public sharing be removed or changed by anybody, rather only myself? I don!t want to discover songs and albums disappearing from this folder.

Yes, anyone who’s connected to your lan has full access over the data in the public folder via smb/nfs. You can’t change the access for the public folder. Though there’s a mod but unsupported by WD. The best work around is as I mentioned earlier in post#2 addtionally set the user access to read-only. Also as pointed by cpt_paranoia you can safely enable media serving in this folder too which allows other devices on your lan to stream-only via DLNA.

Thanks.

Thank you for the replies. So, I think I shall put the media in private folder with password for people in household. And put the mycloud drive in the corner on the wall side of the window, with router relocated there.

I am glad the HD can stall 24/7 and that multiple persons can access without damage.

If somebody doesn’t like a musician etc. and deletes the file - I don’t want that.

Looks likes like it’s going to take time, adjusting this, relocating files to private folder, etc.
D.

I think I shall put the media in private folder with password for people in household

If they only want to _ play _ media that you put in the media share, just let them access the media library with a UPnP/DLNA client app, then they don’t need a password. They won’t be able to add or delete media, but they could store media in their own private share, and you could get Twonky to serve those too…

Twonky’s control interface is public to your network, too. It can be password protected, but that can cause trouble.

This FAQ might help you understand the Twonky media server:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/FAQ-Twonky-DLNA-Media-Server-Setup-amp-Use/td-p/858810

I that Twonky isn’t the standard media server for mycloud, as it appears it is Linux, mentions technical problem history, and invalidates warranty.

Haven’t searched this yet on your forums, but what about VLC as alternative? VLC has apps for all smartphones including Apple and Microsoft (Lumia,…), VLC for iPad, etc

I that Twonky isn’t the standard media server for mycloud, as it appears it is Linux, mentions technical problem history, and invalidates warranty.

If I’ve deciphered that correctly, you think Twonky needs to be installed on the MyCloud?

i) Twonky comes supplied as factory-installed firmware. It’s supplied by WD as the advertised DLNA media server.

ii) The MyCloud is a Linux-based box (Debian wheezy to be more specific).

I recommend you go and read the MyCloud manual; it might help prevent these misunderstandings.

The link that somebody just provided, in this thread, the author states something that the warranty becomes invalidated, in following his instructions.

_ May _ become invalidated, if you screw up in modifying the Twonky settings files or mess up the Linux system.

If you want the MyCloud to work, I’m afraid you’re going to have to get used to that dire warning…

If you want VLC, you will have to find a build compatible with the 64k page size build of Linux for the MyCloud and install the software on it. That WILL invalidate your warranty.

[edit: actually, it’s uncertain whether installing software will invalidate the warranty; WD have not said what is allowable, and only have that vague ‘may invalidate your warranty’ phrase. I guess this is because there are so many ways you _ could _ break your system using root access via SSH, even though WD provide SSH on the thing, and allow you to use it]

Thank you for your reply.

Okay. I think I’ll just try to work with the existing firmware, with the simplist options possible, for now.  I’ll put the media in a private file, and use only for myself, until I figure it out.  

In the next few days, I am going to explore the device and the user manual.

Currently, I am using only my iPad and earlier hard drive I had with Vista (prior to upgrades).  It has limited memory space, so I don’t know if I can get the mycloud control panel installed on it.  I did have the wdmycloud control panel installed on my computer, but the hard drive, with W8.1 Pro, crashed with hard drive failure.  I don’t know if this was a coincidence of a bad hd or that the installation of the wdmycloud control panel software had contributed to this.  Also, prior to the hard drive failure, I had installed iTunes, required in connecting my iPad to the computer for upgrade.  (the upgrade was required for a MyCloud APP).  If anybody has had experience with or knowledge of computer hard drive failure caused by either WDMyCloud software or iTunes, please let me know.

I’ll get back to this thread in a few days, after reading and exploring MyCloud, if I have any comments or questions about the subject.

Regards. 

I take it when you say VLC, you’re referring to installing VLC on to your ipad pc etc. and browse your media saved in the WDMyCloud shares using explorer/finder then play it with VLC. Just create a private folder for this media of yours and share the user/pass with your family members.

Twonky DLNA on the WDMyCloud is a different thing, usually used with devices such as TV where you don’t even need password to play. This provided you don’t allow others coming to your place to connect their personal devices to your wifi or lan. Some routers provide guest network which the device connected to this guest network, will not see other devices in the network unless they plugin into the router directly. So placing your medias in the Public folder is quite ok, just tell your family members not to delete anything.

I think you have much to explorer, take your time and play around with the NAS. The manual is essential and this forum as guide.

Despite what the manual says in the introductory sections, you don’t need to install any WD software on your PC to control the MyCloud; it has a web-based control interface built into it, which you can access via a web browser; Safari on your iPad, for instance. It’s called the Dashboard by WD, and is discussed in detail in the manual.

Once you have connected the MyCloud to your router, I’d recommend skipping to p21 of the manual ‘Getting Started Without the Online Setup Installer’.

As for your iPad, now you have upgraded beyond iOS5, you can upgrade its firmware by WiFi, so you you can uninstall iTunes from your PC, if you’re short of space; iTunes is awful bloatware.