How do I password protect the contents of my WD My Cloud?

I have a 3 TB My Cloud and am using it with a Mac. I set it up with a password, but anyone on the WiFi network is able to access anything on My Cloud. How do I password protect the entire contents? I would’ve assumed this would be the easiest thing to do, but I can’t for the life of me figure this out. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!!

You have to protect the shares on the device. Disable the public setting and set permissions for the specific my cloud users. Then on your network you will need to supply the correct username/password to access the share. Note that the device and shares will still be viewable on your network, but you wont be able to access a share unless you have the password.

How do I disable the public setting and set permissions? I can’t seem to
find it in the manual.

It’s all on the Shares tab of the My Cloud Dashboard. Look at the Public Access and User Access sections.

Its in the WD My User Manual, Chapter 7 Managing Shares, Making a Share Private, page 46. And also in on the online help within the Dashboard via; Help > Managing Your Personal Cloud > Shares.

The setting is located at; Dashboard > Shares > (select Share) > Share Profile > Public Access. Set Public Access to either On or Off.

When Public Access is set to Off you can then select the User permissions (No Access, Read Access, Full Access) to that Private Share.

One word of note on Private Shares. Any media content within a Private Share will still be accessible to all DLNA clients due to the way Twonky DLNA Media Server works if Media Serving is set to On. If you want the media content within the Private Share to not be accessible to the Twonky Media Server then set Media Serving, located on the Share page, to Off.

Thanks! You guys are the best :slight_smile:

Hi there. I’m not sure if I am in the right zone here or what so correct me if I am out of place.

I don’t want my PC to have automatic access to My Cloud.

Its not hard to crack a Windows password these days.

So I presume I don’t map the drive.

So, what I was wondering is…what is the minimum WD software i need to install to gain access each time with a password.

WD Access, QuickView, My Cloud…

Do you see what I am getting at???

Regards

Mark :smiley:

None.

When you map the network drive, don’t tick the ‘re-connect at login’ box.

Then you will have to re-enter your password every time you want to access the MyCloud from Windows.

Don’t put anything in Public, since there is no access control on Public.

Wicked…thanks :thumbsup:

Actually btw, My Cloud device wont reboot so I am going to have to RMA it. Does this mean I will get a new one ???

It is only a few months old.

Mark

How are you trying to reboot it? Reset button? Dashboard?

RMA will give you a refurbished unit. Depending on where you are, I would be tempted to use your local consumer law and return to the retailer for replacement or refund.

Either method.

Cant Map it either.

Ran Tests but all fail.

I think I bought it on Amazon. I will have to check.

Thanks for the advice

PS: What about the data I had on it? I suppose for that reason it would be safer to return it to WD no??

Ran what tests?

What happens when you try to boot it? What does the front LED show? Ethernet LEDs?
Have you tried a different ethernet cable/router port/router reboot?

We can’t help remote diagnostics without detailed, accurate information.

Sorry Capt, this is probs the wrong thread anyway but while were here…

I started getting trouble logging into the device initially. I hadnt accessed it for a while.

My TV blew during a storm i think so I am not sure if this had something to do with it because I hadnt accessed it for a long time prior.

Anyway, a reboot would continually flash for about 2 days before i tried a reset. This would take about another 2 days before I got a constant blue light.

It would let me log back in but there was a red caution flag under diagnostics.

I rang WD to be on the safe side and they asked me to do a Full Test on the device, so I did and it failed, and so did a Quick Test. Dashboard wouldnt give me the option of Scanning it or Formatting it either.

WD have issued me an RMA but with the fact that it has had all my personal data on it and that they would only provide a replacement refurb, I am a little annoyed. If it is under warranty why cant they just send me a new one.

It goes into sleep mode fine (pulsing blue LED), and is currently on constant blue LED as I am trying another quick test. This seems normal to me.

But the trouble it has with rebooting and the red caution flag makes me think I have no choice but to send it back. :frowning:

Regards

Mark

PS: Quick test just seems to be hanging but i will give it a few days just in case. You never know.

Warranty doesn’t cover storm damage… That’s what household insurance is for.

The long reboot may have been doing a file system recovery after some event caused by the storm.

Its possible that some damage was caused by the event that took out your TV, by conduction through your house wiring. If the diagnostics are saying it’s faulty (even after doing 4 and 40 second resets), I’d guess that it is faulty…

If you can get it to reboot normally, and pass diagnostics, it’s up to you whether you want to trust it, or RMA it.

Hmmmm ok.

They cant prove it was storm damage though and it is surge protected btw.

Doesnt look like I have much choice then does it.

Ok buddy thanks for all your help and time :smiley:

Mark :thumbsup: