Solution to Panasonic HDTV HDMI Problem

Hi guys,

i found a workaround for Panasonic HDTV that will not recognize WD Element Play when using HDMI Cable.

Symptom: WD Element Play display alright with composite cable, but will display a blank screen when change to HDMI cable.

Solution: Enable Auto-Play Function. Auto play Picture with Music option is prefered.(The original SampleMedia on the WD Element Play is perfect for this.)

How:

1. Start WD Element Play using Composite cable.

2. Enable Auto-Play Function for Picture with Music.

3. Make sure the WD Element Play contain Picture and Music File

4.Turn WD Element Play Off.

1. Switch to HDMI connection and Turn it on.

2. It will take a take less than 10 Second for some picture and music to show up on your screen. If it does, congrats. lol.

3. Click the Home button to go to the main menu.

4. Enjoy watching you favorites Video. =)

I have tested this on my own Panasonic LED TV and it works. So i assume it should works for you too. As for other brands of HDTV with similar problem you could probably try it out no harm in doing so. lol.

Hope this helps. =)

1 Like

Nice:smiley:

I’ll try it.

I just bought  the Elements Play 1TB and i have exactly the same problem. Your solution didnt work for me. I have submitted a solution request to tech support…waiting for an answer.

Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

You are the hero of the month or more. That solution worked on my TX-P42V20E…and thereby saved my Media Player from an f… cruel death.:smiley:

This trick is known from some time ago, at least in spanish forums.

Anyway, it’s amazing how WD has forgotten all WDEP customers. This should be easily corrected (as many other flaws) via a new firmware, and WD has only released one (1, uno, ein, ONE) firmware in october 2010. 

This trick solves the amount spent in this player, but not the problem itself. It’s a matter of WD and not of the customer to solve these kind of things. Panasonic is not a minor brand in the market, and this error is happening to every Panasonic customer with this “great” player…

Absolutly agree. This is unbelievable and a BIG SHAME and DISHONOR for WD. Not a nrmal humal can believe, that this can happen in this century.

How they can still SELL this product?

Why I should buy something what doesn’t finally WORK??

Why they are not working on any sollution???

I of course find that Autoplay hint before reading the forums, but my disappointment is even HIGHER, because there isn’t any OTHER sollution.

Grrrr…:smileymad

I find it curious that WD is the one blamed for Panasonic’s design…

The EP has its performance and firmware issues (That should be addressed), but the issues with Panasonic is because of the way the TV’s are made and it affects other players as well… Doesn’t that tell you that Panasonic is the one causing this, as it does not happen with other TV brands? 

Do you honestly expect WD to do something about an incompatibility issue with a brand because that brand does not follow some basic standards, specially when WD is not the only one having the problem?

If you do, then well… Figures.

Kudos to the owner of the thread for finding a workaround.

ThePizzaMatrix, you’re right, WD is not the only one to blame here, but it’s curious. I tried in my Panasonic a colleague’s WD TV Live Hub and it worked like a charm from the first moment. Haven’t been able to test other WD devices, but don’t you find suspicious that this issue is only happening with the EP?

All companies have at least one flawed product in their line up, and clearly EP is the one for WD… The thing that pisses us off is the lack of response from WD. Yes we have contacted (at least me) them and no response. 

ThePizzaMatrix, you aren’t exactly right. WD as an Complementary device must tell the end usser, that his products doesn’t work with any Primary devices or Brands, because it’s sold to be used with these devices (TV’s). They are responsible for WORKING sollution I will accept it and select something what works. It’s fair and simple.

Not to tell to everyone - that it’s easy to conect and… just buy it.

They know, that there isn’t any possibility to test it before but, therefore it’s realy TERRIBLE approach!

kindgott wrote:

ThePizzaMatrix, you’re right, WD is not the only one to blame here, but it’s curious. I tried in my Panasonic a colleague’s WD TV Live Hub and it worked like a charm from the first moment. Haven’t been able to test other WD devices, but don’t you find suspicious that this issue is only happening with the EP?

All companies have at least one flawed product in their line up, and clearly EP is the one for WD… The thing that pisses us off is the lack of response from WD. Yes we have contacted (at least me) them and no response. 

And that’s why I say that the EP has its flaws and issues, and they should be corrected. On the other hand, the design of the Hub is way different than that of the EP. The Hub was made for worldwide distribution so it has different standards than the EP to better handle both NTSC and PAL formats, but since the EP is only distributed on Europe, Asia and Australia, then I think the EP is kinda expecting for a standard PAL output. This may have something to do with it but it´s just a wild guess…

Disappointed5 wrote:

ThePizzaMatrix, you aren’t exactly right. WD as an Complementary device must tell the end user, that his products doesn’t work with any Primary devices or Brands, because it’s sold to be used with these devices (TV’s). They are responsible for WORKING solution I will accept it and select something what works. It’s fair and simple.

Not to tell to everyone - that it’s easy to connect and… Just buy it.

They know, that there isn’t any possibility to test it before but, therefore it’s really TERRIBLE approach!

So, you want WD to have a daily testing struggle each day when a new TV from a new brand goes into the market?  :dizzy_face:

If the EP made it out to the market in the first place is because is was tested to work with the standards. When a new MotherBoard is released by ASUS they don’t test if each single Nvidia VGA and X-Fi sound card available in the market is compatible with the MoBo, they just test the basic protocols for a Certification That states it Should Be compatible with most devices. Same thing has happened with the EP and all other WD’s media player.

Just look at this section from WD’s website that mentions the TV’s that they use to test their media players:

Televisions:

Device Name Device Model
Sony Bravia KDL-46Z
Sharp LC-37A53M
Samsung LA32S81 32"
Samsung LN32A330
Samsung LN32A550
Samsung TXT3092/to>
Sharp LC-37A53M
Sharp LC32D64U
Toshiba 32AV500U
ASUS MK241

And then you’ll find this notice:

Note: The list of televisions above are the units the WD TV Live HD Media player were tested on, and has been provided by customer request. This list is in no way exclusive. The WD TV Live HD Media player should play on Most televisions.

That set is from the Live players, but it’s not hard to guess it’s the same list for all their media players. That means that they know that it was not going to work with everything because it was simply not possible. And again, if you look at the user manual of the EP then you’ll find the regulatory compliance that certifies the EP to have been tested where it Needed To be tested to make it out. All of those regulations are not brand-specific, but protocol and design specific. You say that it’s a terrible approach, what do you expect if a Panasonic certification is not needed for any international trades and electronics federation to allow a device to go into the market?

You say that WD should tell customers that it’s not going to work with everything; doesn’t the note above tell that it’s NOT going to work with everything? That info is a public article on their website that anyone can see even before you buy the EP, so there you go…? 

As the consumers that we are, our duty is to look for that information before we buy, as it is not going to look for us.

1 Like

Nice smug answer which dont help us people with expensive tvs that cant display correctly

Anyone know a media player that will work with panasonics?

(the WD worked in the shop with a display  panasonic so its not all models that are affected)

Tried an iomega also that didnt work either

Try the workaround on the first post and see if it helps.

ThePizzaMatrix, I don’t know if you are from WD, because you are protecting them by excuses like from the Salles Manager. What is always issue on these excuses - never solves the issue. For me it’s just a piece of ■■■■ and didn’t managed my WD EP to connect with my new TV.

1. PANASONIC TV connects by HDMI easilly with Sattelite, Home cinema DVD, Playstation 3 and Box from cable provider - everyone of these are non standard, just  WD is correct one therefore it doesn’t work?

Please be serious!

1. Customer is not obliged to guess, ou are mentioning some post on the site, whose are’t visible and aren’t shown by honest way. No one of the seller in my Country did tell me that it can happen with PANA TV, because they did’t test it with only brand producing real Plasma TV.

It means - also sellers don’t know!

1. Also your note ISN’T translated into my language - so no publishing in my local language. By LAW if it’s not told in local language, it’s not taken into a consideration.

Aggain: easy and fair, just tell the customer!

1. It MUST be published in that way for the CUSTOMERS to be able to notice non compactibility in the shop - so needs to be on the box. Not on the web site.

Come on be realistic and don’t ask people to spend hours by net before buy…!

Disappointed5 wrote:

ThePizzaMatrix, I don’t know if you are from WD, because you are protecting them by excuses like from the Salles Manager. What is always issue on these excuses - never solves the issue. For me it’s just a piece of ■■■■ and didn’t managed my WD EP to connect with my new TV.

1. PANASONIC TV connects by HDMI easilly with Sattelite, Home cinema DVD, Playstation 3 and Box from cable provider - everyone of these are non standard, just  WD is correct one therefore it doesn’t work?

Please be serious!

1. Customer is not obliged to guess, ou are mentioning some post on the site, whose are’t visible and aren’t shown by honest way. No one of the seller in my Country did tell me that it can happen with PANA TV, because they did’t test it with only brand producing real Plasma TV.

It means - also sellers don’t know!

1. Also your note ISN’T translated into my language - so no publishing in my local language. By LAW if it’s not told in local language, it’s not taken into a consideration.

Aggain: easy and fair, just tell the customer!

1. It MUST be published in that way for the CUSTOMERS to be able to notice non compactibility in the shop - so needs to be on the box. Not on the web site.

Come on be realistic and don’t ask people to spend hours by net before buy…!

1- Look at chazwozza’s post above mine and see for yourself that another media player from another brand has the same problem with Panasonic. And look at my previous post suggesting that what causes the problem could be the NTSC/PAL format output based on the EP distribution, which is something that does matter on TV’s.

2- Sellers on my country just like to sell stuff and are not trustworthy. Where I live, we have culture of investigating prior to buying just to make sure that we are buying what we want and need instead of what the salesman thinks that we want and need. Some sellers also expect you to know what you are buying. I don’t need a salesman to tell me what is going to work or not. I don’t depend on other people for something I’m going to invest my money; protecting myself as a consumer is MY job.

3- So if you see a sign that says “You may receive an electrical shock if you to touch a wall outlet while you’re wet” but it’s not on your language then it’s not taken into a consideration by law? :dizzy_face:

4- See answer #2. If you want someone else to tell you what to buy and what not to buy based on what they know instead of facts then it’s your call. If you want someone to walk you by the hand at a store then it is your call; you’ll be the one affected on the long run… If you want to skip the old saying “if you want something done right do it yourself” then so be it if it makes you happy.

If I were you, I’d take the EP back to the store and get something confirmed to work on your TV, whatever the brand. Look on more forums, ask Panasonic or go to a Panasonic store; where you won’t find the EP or any other media player that does not work with their brand.

I won’t post again on this thread as I made my point. Again, it’s your call to investigate or not before you buy something. Do what you feel is best for you.

thanks for your solution i appreciate your suggest, now i’m working for low motion and stopping frame with MKV. i upgrade with the latest firmware but the player don’t work proprerly, if you have another suggest for this problem… thank you

roberto (from Italy)

Hi, I have Panasonic TV model TX P42G20E, yesterday I tried and now WD works. Thank you very much

ciao