Solution for WD My Cloud Offline

Since October some of you experienced, as I did, the fact that WD My Cloud Home went offline after a broken Firmware upgrade from WD.

I got no support from WD (they claimed that the problem is a Disk that is failing). Obviously, that was not the reason. I managed now to recover my files (which shows that WDs explanation is simply wrong and a lie).

I used this YouTube Video as a source: How to recover files and data from WD MyCloud Home for free - YouTube
It’s fun to watch and it really is a solution.

You just need a USB stick and some free software to recover your files. All in the video. I hope this will help some of you guys!

Good job and you did it all on your own and it must have brought some satisfaction I am sure, and for free with the free Ubuntu and Springfield recovery python script.

Other users may be helped by knowing that there are specialized Ubuntu Linux live CD that do data recovery and all for free -such as Rescuezilla. Some MCH user could even do a sector clone of the HDD from MCH and then just replace the HDD in the MCH with the clone and boot up and be able to recover their data that way, without the problem associated with the python recovery script. It is also safer to do data recovery on a sector cloned HDD than the original drive.

And I can finally throw this piece of garbage away :grin: